Search

Is Denali NP worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:47 AM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Denali NP worth it?

DNP seems to be a "must-do" for most people visiting Alaska. Since we'll be flying in & out of Anch this August for an 11 day visit, I'm wondering if we'll really be missing out if we skip DNP in favor of the Copper river area and the kenai peninsula. We would plan a flightsee of McKinley out of Talkeetna if we skip DNP.

Our proposed trip would be a ferry out of Whittier to Valdez, on to the Copper river valley, across the Glen Highway to Talkeetna, bacck to Anchorage. Turn in SUV and take train to Seward for 3 nights.

Opinions and comments most welcome,
Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:49 AM

That's definitely a very personal decision, and not one anyone else can make for you. I'd make the decision based on regrets, were it me. Would I regret later, or even flying home, that I had not taken a day to do the shuttle bus tour of Denali?

The first day we were there, it was rainy and foggy on the bus tour to Fish Creek, and we saw very few animals. But for me, even if that's all we saw, it was worth it . . . I had done DNP. To be honest, I dreaded the bus ride being so long and stuck in a school bus, but it was not bad at all . . . and remember, we couldn't even see out of the windows. But we met some really interesting people, listened to great travel stories, etc. If you are a people person, like me, then you'll be fine on the bus. However, we had purchased tickets for the next day, just in case, so we decided to lose a day in Fairbanks and try another shuttle trip. That trip we saw all the animals we had hoped to see, except wolves, and beautiful views so the bus trip flew by again.

I may have you confused with someone else, but I think you will have young folks with you. If so, bring game boys, headphones, or whatever distraction they are into, just in case. We had our DD with us, a teen, and she enjoyed the shuttle tours, too. She was anxious about who would sit with her, especially on the dreary day, but she really lucked out and got a young man from Belgium that was quite a world traveler and told great stories. By the next bus tour, we were "seasoned" shuttle bus riders, having all seen by that point in our trip that we can have a great time, not matter what.

I hope I have helped. I, too, struggled with that decision and know it's a tough call to make. Alaska is beautiful, and VERY BIG. There is no way one can see it all in one vacation, so there'll always be at least one thing that you just weren't able to do. On our next trip (whenever that is), we're picking one, maybe two places we loved (like Homer), and spending the whole trip there. Just don't try to cram so much in the trip that you don't slow down enough to smell the moose poop! ;-)
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:06 AM

My opinion is that Denali is worth the trip. We spent two weeks in AK in September and did a lot of stuff (glacier cruises, sea kayaking, gold panning, museums, general wandering around, Alaska Ferry, etc.) and my favorite part was the 3 days we had in Denali.

We took the bus deep into the park on one day and did the guided discovery hike. Did some of the entrance area hikes and the dog sled demo on another day. Did the Mt. Healy hike near the entrance on the final day. The fall colors were beautiful and the weather held up pretty well.

Now, if you're not hikers, than there may be better options for your time.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:40 AM

We've only made it as far north as Talkeetna but had incredible views of the mountain since it was very clear. The only flightseeing we did was a short hop between Seldovia and Homer. That was great so flightseeing from Talkeetna would be stupendous. There is so much to see and do in Alaska. The longest boat trip out of Seward was a highlight. I wish we had spent more time in Homer. We've driven from Skagway to Anchorage, not something I would want to do again even though it was beautiful with fireweed in bloom and seeing Lake Kluane and gave a good idea of how big and remote the Yukon and parts of Alaska are. A mother moose and baby were visitors where we stayed in Kenai. I got a kick out of meeting people who used to live in New England and would never consider returning (too humid!). Watching a short video at the Pratt Museum in Homer about homesteaders in the 50s impressed me. My parents were heading to the new suburbs then, not the wilds of Alaska. I had to hear Hobo Jim sing. Independence Mine has a great display of pictures taken during the 20s when it was a flourishing mining town. I'd love to go again and maybe DNP would be on my list next time but I don't feel like we missed anything by not going there yet.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM

I do not think it is good idea to put both Kenai Peninsula and Denali NP in 11 days trip. And it is not 11 at all if you incorporate the time required to/from your destination points.
Homer itself is worth five FULL days, IMO. Two more days for Seward to do KFNP cruise,Fox Island, etc.
I mean, physically, it is doeable. But do you want things to stay in your memory or just be able to say "I was there" and remeber a name only? I guarantee you it will not be your last Alaska visit. For many, it became not a destination but an addiction. And it certainly for reason.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:09 AM

The two highlights of our trip to Alaska were the bus trip into Denali, even though views of Mt. McKinley were clouded, and the 26 Glacier cruise out of Whittier. Seeing a glacier calve into the sea is an unforgettable experience. The Denali bus trip is well worth it just for the views of the animals in the wild.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:12 AM

What if you only have 8 days (not including travel to and from alaska)? Would you go to Denali, or stick with the Kenai Penninsula. Husband and I dont like to stay in one place for too long, so we think we'll do it all.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:27 AM

I might do both DNP and Kenai...

Day 0 - drive right from the airport to somewhere near DNP

Day 1/2 - DNP
Day 3 - Drive to Seward
Day 4/5 - Seward
Day 6 - Seward to Homer via Exit Glacier
Day 7/8 - Homer
Day 9 - Back to Anch and fly home (this is do-able... we left Homer at 9ish... had lunch at Glynn's in Cooper landing, spent a couple of hours at the Alaska Wildlife Conserv. Center, Stopped in Girdwood, did a quick hike along the Arm, stopped that the Univ. of Alaska at Anch., had dinner at Moose's tooth, and caught a mid-night flight out).

Have fun!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:57 AM

For me, yes Denali park is a must do, every trip. It is your best wildlife bargain around.

At Copper River, the highlight here is a fly in to Kennicott/McCarthy, consider it.

For clairfication- it is Gwins, not Glynns in Cooper Landing and the museum at Alaska U is in Fairbanks not Anchorage, which is just a regular campus. But the native hospital is worth a look for the gift shop and art work. Located on Tudor.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:18 AM

BQ... You are right... memory is lousy... definitely Gwin's... have the Salmon chowder.

As for the Univ of Alaska. We went to the musuem in Fairbanks, but also walked around the Anchorage campus, caught a Seawolves hockey practice, and checked out the bookstore.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:39 AM

astein, thanks for the reply.
So with 2 days in Denali...what is recommended besides the park shuttle into the park...(which has been highly recommended from other posters)?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:49 AM

I'd definitely take the shuttle in one day. If you like to hike, I'd get off the bus and either hike on your own or try to get into one of the ranger guided discovery hikes.

One the second day, I'd probably do some of the entry area hikes. The Mt. Healy hike is nice but is a bit strenuous.

The easier option (less up and down) is the the short hike down to Horseshoe Lake. Then take the shuttle out to the dogsled demo. Then, instead of taking the bus back, walk back down the Rock Creek trail.

The little cafe in the entrance area has good food (a little expensive, but really not too bad) or you can picnic it.

The rangers at the desk are really good if you have any questions, need trail maps, want to sign up for the discovery hikes, etc.

If you are looking for activities in Valdez, let me know. We did some hiking and sea kayaking that were very good.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:06 AM

thanks for the info. I dont think we can do Valdez too if we are going to do Denali and seward and homer. Unless Valdez is an easy daytrip from homer. But we do hope to do some kayaking in Seward or homer.

As for other questions. How long is the ride on the shuttle bus? Could we do a hike in the afternoon after the bus trip? We are thinking of maybe doing a flight-seeing trip on the morning of the second day in denali and then driving back to anchorage in the evening. Does that seem doable
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:19 AM

Valdez from Homer isn't really do-able. You can kayak from Seward.

You can do the bus for as long as you'd like. You can jump off anywhere and catch a bus back in the other direction. I'd plan on this taking all day and I'd try to do the hike while out in the park. You have a fair amount of light at that time of year, so you could probably squeeze in a hike in the entrance area as well.

The drive to Anchorage isn't too bad. One good stop is at the Iditarod headquarters and museum in Wasilla. It's a quick stop and worth a few minutes.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

www.nps.gov/dena has activity listings. As for flightseeing, there are many more options out of Talkeetna, stop there on the way up or down.

Valdez isn't a day trip from anywhere.

My min. recommendation for Denali Park shuttle buses is Fish Creek, allow 8 hours.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:37 AM

ah budgetqueen! Ive read a lot of your postings!
What do you think of the above-mentioned itinerary - (with modifications)?

Day 0 - drive right from the airport to somewhere near DNP (stay in talkaneetka - cant remember how to spell!)

Day 1 - DNP Park shuttle & hike in afternoon
Day 2 - DNP (perhaps flightsee in am & drive to Anchorage in afternoon. Stay over in Anchorage.
Day 3 - Drive to Seward (leisurely)
Day 4 - Seward - (boat trip)
Day 5 - Seward - (kayak trip)
Day 6 - Seward to Homer via Exit Glacier
Day 7 - Homer - any suggestions?
Day 8 - Homer
Day 9 - Drive Back to Anch and fly home

Any help is so so appreciated!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:33 AM

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Talkeetna is a fun little town.

As for Homer, there are a lot of fun little shops and it's nice to go out and wander around the spit (the piece of land that stick out into the water).

There is a lot of fishing and flightseeing that you can do. There is also a nice little nature preserve for hiking that overlooks the town.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:44 AM

Alaska is all about outdoor activities and there is much more to Homer besides visiting shops, galleries and the Spit. Do search here under Homer and you get an idea what's there.
Forget Valdez on this trip, it is definitely not accessible on a day trip from Homer
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:45 AM

ttt (I have totally hijacked this post)
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:01 AM

I would make sure that he trip to DNP was one of the longer versions that went deep into the park. I went on a shorter version in the interest of saving time but we only saw one moose through binoculars. I have heard that the trips that go deeper into the park are much more interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -