Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is Austin a safe city for a single traveler?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Leigh Muldoon

I'm visiting Austin, Texas for business in August and thought I'd stay an extra day to tour the famous musical capital of the world. As a single traveler, is it a safe city by foot? Is it very cab accessible or is a rental car a better option?
Any feedback would be most appreciated!
Thanks!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 04:56 PM
Annalynn

I live in Austin and I'd recommend a rental car. If you are staying in downtown for business, then you will probably have already had a chance to sample Sixth Street and the Warehouse District in the evenings.

With your free day, I'd recommend exploring Barton Springs (a natural swimming hoele with temperatures in the 70s - perfect for a hot humid August day), Zilker Park, Mount Bonnell, or maybe a trip out to Lake Travis. You could take a cab to these places, but it would be hard to find one to pick you up and transport you to your next destination.

Have fun!

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 03:58 PM
CMcDaniel

You might add Hamilton Pool and perhaps finish the day on a porch at the Oasis applauding as the sun sets over Lake Travis. The Hill Country just to the west of Austin is so beautiful.

Annalynn...the car isn't so much for safety reasons is it, but for ease of getting around? We always considered Austin to be extremely safe when our daughter was in school there...or was she hoodwinking us?

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 06:06 PM
Linda

Austin is safe for walking but a rental car is good for convenience. You could spend all day around the downtown/Capitol area. Besides, Texas is HOT in August--100's. Johnson's Presidential Library is there, the Capitol, etc. If you like seeing the countryside, then take the highway to Frederickburg (about 1 1/2 hour drive)--I think it is SH 287 & see the Hill Country & some of our German roots. En route you pass Johnson City &, if you take SH1 (parallel road that leads back to main highway), you can see the Texas White House & the Perdeneles River.
Stay a couple of days & go to San Antonio--Alamo; mariachi mass at noon Sundays at Mission San Jose; Riverwalk with jazz clubs, restaurants, shopping. You might check www.traveltex.com for other ideas & information.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 09:24 AM
lisa

Very safe, and I highly recommend it! You might want to rent a car though for convenience. I recently posted a trip report on Austin and San Antonio -- do a search if you're interested in recommendations on restaurants and sights.