Reload this Page >

Is "Annie Get Your Gun" a good choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:11 PM
Tom

We (2 adults/no kids) leaning towards Annie Get Your Gun for a broadway musical (have always been a Bernadette Peters fan). Anyone seen this? Opinions...good, bad or otherwise welcome. Tom

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 07:05 PM
steve

If you are a fan of Bernadette Peters you'll probably like the show and Tom Wopat is surprisingly good as well. It's certainly not "cutting edge" Broadway, but the music is wonderful! For something a little edgier I would suggest CABARET it is a marvelous production although I can't vouch for the current cast.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 05:15 AM
howard

Adding on to Steve's comments, the current cast of "Cabaret" has been warmly received by the critics. You'll enjoy "Annie Get Your Gun" if you like Bernadette Peters. And, yes, Tom Wopat is good. Other musicals worth seeing include "Ragtime," "It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues" and "Chicago," depending on your tastes. Tickets for "Ragtime" and "Blues" are often available at TKTS, the half-price booth in Times Square. Occasionally, you can get them for "Annie" there as well.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 07:34 AM
Julie

Also, if you go to Playbill On-Line (www.playbill.com) and join their site, they often have discount available if you want to buy tickets ahead of time. In the email I just received, Annie Get Your Gun has a 20% discount on selected shows.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 08:59 AM
howard

Postscript to Julie's comment about the Playbill club (which I have used several times and heartily endorse), there are several other good shows available at a discount there.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 01:03 AM
JR

...not according to Bill Clinton.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 10:50 AM
Der

am I the only one who doesn't understand the above posting?

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 04:04 PM
TC

Tom; How often do you go to NY to see theater? If the answer is "not often" and you want a big, splashy, wow sets and costumes, comedy and good music show. Then you'll love Annie. I loved it and I see NY theater 3-4 times a year. It isn't "edgy", but its very entertaining. Bernadette is simply marvelous - and boy does she look great. My second favorite current show is Brian Dennehy in Death of a Salesman. Its deep, but he is mezmerising. Have fun.

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 04:52 PM
Howard

I'd make Death of a Salesman the first choice, by far. But, obviously, it depends on whether you want a musical or a serious drama.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 08:01 PM
Jill

Just returned and saw 4 Broadway plays. Our favorite was Annie Get Your Gun. Bernadette Peters is a tiny little DYNAMO! You'll love it.