Search

Ironman Triathalon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Edward G

Ironman Triathalon

I just learned that the Ironman Triathlon will take place on the Big Island on October 19. We will coincidentally be arriving on the BI the same day. Has anyone been there during the triathlon. Is there a specific place that is good for viewing the race (probably a dumb question, but humor me). Also, will we have any trouble getting from Kona Airport to our hotel on the Kohala coast (do they close the roads there for the run / bike). Thanks.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 03:55 PM
SEW

I'm not sure if this will help as it was a long time ago(1984), but we arrived on the same day as the Triathlon. We arrived in the early afternoon as the bike portion was going and didn't experience any problems. We were headed into Kailua-Kona.

Once we were settled in our Hotel, we headed to the area where they do the transition from Bike to run. We ended up watching at the finish line. We did not see the first finishers, but people are finishing throughout the day and into night.

Along the highway you will just watch them pass by on either the bike or run. I thought the transition station was interesting. If you are staying on the Kohala Coast you may not want to venture into town, and if you position yourself near a water station may see more.

It was a fun experience and was glad I got to see it.

Have fun and enjoy.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:05 PM
melanie

Go any place on Allii Drive and see all the runners. More shade. The bike riders fry in the sun. No trees on that highway. Aloha.

Old Feb 28th, 2003, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious Edward where you ended up to see the race and how it affected your plans. I have gone over twice to see the race, and plan the race day pretty good. The first year, I went to the pier at 5, snuggled in with a family that spent the night to save spots on the pier. People line the pier to watch the exciting swim start. It was great! Then you have about an hour or so, (while they swim 2 miles) to get your spot on Palani drive as they come out of T1 (transition one) on their bikes headed out for a little 140 mile ride.
Then I have gone up in the hills, dropped down and parked, walking up to the entrance to the "Energy Lab" and listened for the NBC choppers. That means the Bike Leaders are coming. This is very exciting, and very hot! It is about 105 miles into the bike.
Then after the female leaders fly by, we head back to town, and post ourselves at the top of Palani drive where it meets the highway and wait.
You see the runners coming up the hill,
and I think this is about mile 9 (of the 26 mile marathon!) They head out onto the Queen K highway, and come back by this same spot. But after the female leaders go by, you can wander down to the finish area, eat, find some shade and wait for about 2 hours until you hear the announcer get the crowd pumped up that the men's winner is on his way! It is very exciting.
I would like to have the energy to stay up and cheer everyone in until the
Midnight cutoff, but it is a long day.
(And I am not even competing!)
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloha Edward,

It really depends on when your plane arrives. Race begins around 7 and takes the top finishers about 8 hours to complete. There is always a route open to get in and out of Kona and up to the resorts in the Kohala area. Your rentals car company will provide a map to guide you.

Best vantage is in town for the swim, swim/bike transition and the finish. Please note it gets pretty crowded so parking is at a premium if you do not arrive early.

FYI - since you will be staying in the Kohala area you will be able to see the bike portion of the race right from the highway.

Have a great vacation!