Reload this Page >

Inter-island flights savings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 12:41 PM
Yelena

Can anybody please help me to find out how to save on inter- island flights in Hawaii. We are stying on Maui, but would like to go for a day to the Big Island. The only thing I could find are 60$ vouchers for one-way leg for the trip, which makes a round trip for the family of three 360$. Thanks.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 12:58 PM
Diana

If know anyone on the island with a Hawaii state ID, you can have them ask for the Kamaaina Rate for you -- but honestly I haven't paid much less than what you were quoted -- usually about $50 per ticket in the coupon book

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 01:23 PM
vosaki

At year, Alhoa Airlines promoted some coupons that you could buy in a machine at the airport. Non residents were could buy the tickets. We did not use them but it seemed to me that they cost about 50 dollars a piece.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 01:25 PM
terri

You might try these options:

Best island travel (808-924-7717) $56.19 per ticket one way including taxes.

AAA - their tickets were the cheapest - around $50 each (no minimum quantity to buy)

Booking through Hawaiian's website, you get each inter-island leg for $63.50 - tax, title, tag included.

Good Luck and have a great time!

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 02:11 PM
James

Yelena,

Don't know what you were expecting, but it isn't cheap to fly, period. After all, you will be flying from one island to another, and sometimes full fares are almost $100 per person per leg, so $55/$60 is cheap in comparison. The only thing cheaper will be swimming, and I'm not that good! But trust me, it will be worth the money - it's fun to fly interisland, and a great way to see everything!

Aloha,

J

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 02:37 PM
scigirl

In general, the interisland coupons are the cheapest flights. Cost is around 55-60. If you were to book the flights rather than using coupons it would be about 200 round trip. Occasionally there are deals locally that if you spend enough at a certain grocery store or gas station or whatever you can get additional discounts. However, this is not realistic for nonresidents. I think you have gotten about the best rates possible. (I am a resident and just paid about 58.00 for interisland coupons for this weekend.....)

Another, possibly less costly alternative, is to explore taking a helicopter tour from Maui to the Big Island. You wouldn't get to explore on foot - but it would give you a chance to see the island. There are many companies offering helicopter tours, so I would guess something like this might be available.

Enjoy your trip otherwise - I am sure that you wil find plently to keep you occupied on Maui even if you don't make it to another island. (Also gives you an excuse to come back).

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 04:07 PM
Yelena

Thanks to everybody who replied. Unexpectedly, I found a deal on Fly and Drive. It's 327 $ total for roundtrip for three people on Aloha plus includes car rental. I think it's the best price I can possibly get. Is it not? Thanks.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 07:20 PM
Lani

Yelena,

That's excellent, and from my experience, I think you'd be wasting your time looking for anything cheaper, really. As James said, you'd have to swim to beat that!

Aloha,

Lani

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 11:16 AM
lisa

Yelena -- can you post details on where you found that fly&drive package?