Inter Island Flights

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inter Island Flights

My wife and I will be flying into Honolulu on 09/14 and flying to Maui on 09/16. Hawaiian Airlines would cost $338 RT for both of us. Are there ever any 'deals' for inter-island flights? Also...the average rate to rent a convertible for 8 days seems to be $400 (plus all those damn taxes) Any hints or suggestions to lower that cost. I am not cheap, it is I would rather spend on money on activities (eating is an activity) on Maui. Thank you for your replies.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:04 AM
bonniebroad

dhoffman, that sounds about the going rate for interisland flights now. There are no longer any coupon bargain books as there used to be, and not even any AAA/Entertainment discounts as before. (It's a whole new world since 9/11, flight-wise.) Aloha Airlines has an "aloha-pass" plan you can join, but I'm not sure the tickets, even in that, would be substantially less than the ones with Hawaiian. But you can check it out at Aloha's website.

Rental cars, I think you will have better luck with. Some here have gotten good deals lately, and I'm sure they will speak up!

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM

I did get a 10% discount on a RT ticket with AAA. Not much but every bit helps. The other four RT segments are paid for with FF miles which is always an option if you have miles on many of the majors.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 10:18 AM

We just returned from Hawaii - we used Aloha airlines for our inter-island traveling. Signed up online for their aloha pass (it's free). Round trip tickets between Maui and the Big Island were $129.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 10:45 AM

SUV's Convertables and Van's are pricy and bargains are few and far between. Go to as many websites as you can stand, reserve now and keep checking websites as the prices do change. If you find a better deal, book it and cancel existing reservations.

A week or so before you leave, bid on price line at about 75% of your confirmed rate, you might get it. If you do, cancel your existing reservation. We're going to Maui/BI on 7-3 so that's what I'm going to do this weekend. I say wait until just before you leave as the name your price deals are not refundable once booked.

Also, depending on the number of people in the party, a Jeep might be better, usually way cheaper and just as open aired. The down side is no lockable luggage area and limited baggage area for more than two people.

Finally, consider whether you are really want a convertable. We go to Hawaii every couple of years or so and rented convertables only once. I found that after a day of being outside, I was about sunned out. We kept the top up a lot and used the A/C.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:14 PM
bonniebroad

DawnCt, thanks for correcting me on the AAA discount. I didn't think they were giving that anymore. If you belong to Aloha Pass, do they give you the 10% off that rate? (Probably not...)

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:56 PM

I booked a convertible 7/18-7/29/04 for $511.15 including all taxes. This includes $77 for an extra driver. I went straight to the Alamo site at www.alamo.com and used Rate Code 6T. After I completed the reservation I called them to confirm that I could use that rate code and they said it is an advertized summer rate code for Hawaii for anyone to use. I'm not sure if this will work for September but it is worth a try.

Have a good trip!

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I went to Priceline the other day for the rental car. I put in a daily price that I wanted...Priceline came back and said no one would accept my offer..I did another price and submitted it. Well my system went down and I thought my request never made it through. Well..guess again. I now have a convertible for September on Maui for $330 (8 days plus taxes). Oh well.