Insight for winter trip to Telluride?

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insight for winter trip to Telluride?

I'm looking at spending a week in Telluride in February and wanted to get some local insight/suggestions/ideas to help me plan. Looking for mid- to high-end accommodations with unique character. I'm a skier (expert level) and want to know best parts of the mountain to ski. Will have some non-skiers too, so I need ideas for other activities such as shopping, dining and anything else unique about Telluride.
Thanks.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM

There are many choices in Telluride: hotel, condo, in Mountain Village or in Telluride proper. Mountain Village is a bit like a Swiss mountain village, with a few little shops and places to eat. The town of Telluride has many more shops, restaurants than MV. It is easy to get between the two places: use the free Gondola, the Galloping Goose [mini bus] or drive your car.

I can ask DH where he skis [twice a week in Telluride and Black Diamond in the trees kind of guy].

For the non skier, a week may be a very long time in Telluride. There isn't much to do in winter if you aren't skiing. Spa?? Will they drive to see other places [Mesa Verde National Park; Anazasi Heritage Center in Dolores]?

The main street can be easily walked and shops explored in a day . Have you thought of Durango for some of the time? Maybe split your time? It has more to do than Telluride for non-skiers.

Hope this gives you a start,
Deb

Old Dec 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM

I have heard good things about the Telluride Hotel. Check out www.Telluride.com. The Peaks has been around for a long time and is well worn. The Camel Garden in town in nice but The Sheridan is a classic right on main street of town. Do a google search for Telluride and look at the choices. The Inn at Lost Creek is a fabulous place right on the top of the mountain.
There are tons of things to do in the Telluride area. History museum, sleigh rides, very good spa experiences. At night they have a lot of plays and musical events going on. Look at www.Tellurideticket.com We are seeing Blood, Sweat and Tears in December and Shawn Colvin is a class act.
Any more questions, post back.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Stay in the town of Telluride and not up in the mountain village. The non-skiers will be really bored up there, and it's easy for skiers to take the gondola up from town. The more interesting expert terrain is on the town side of the mountain as well.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM

IMO, downtown Telluride can be explored in half a day- not a day. If the non skiers will participate in other outdoor activities or lots of time in a spa, they'll be ok. Otherwise, bring books.