Insiders New York City

Feb 7th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Insiders New York City

We have been to NYC many,many times....but this time we are planning a trip in April and would love to know of any "off the beaten path" museums, areas of interest,etc. We have done the major stuff over and over, and now are looking for insider stuff. Thanks so much!
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:33 AM

I've not been yet but I understand the Tenement Museum is quite interesting. And this weekend I am visiting the Museum of the City of NY for the first time - looks interesting.
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM

The Museum of the city of NY is indeed worthwhile. In April, cross Fifth Avenue an take a look at the Conservatory Garden.

Another favorite is the Mt. Vernon Hotel museum, on east 61st, a relic of early New York two centuries ago when E 61 was a weekend resort destination.
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM

If you haven't yet checked it out, visit the Brooklyn Museum. It's world-renowned for its African Art collection, and is in a beautiful location (Park Slope). www.brooklynmuseum.org

If the weather is nice, you can spend the afternoon strolling Prospect Park and the brownstones in Park Slope. And/or, you can hop over to Brooklyn Heights and take in the fabulous views, eat pizza at Grimaldi's and ice cream at the Ice Cream Factory. And even visit Jacques Torres

Sounds like a perfect afternoon to me! Enjoy.
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM

One more Brooklyn suggestion, in the same vicinity as the museum- in April, the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens will be beautiful. In April, the cherry trees will probably be in bloom. www.bbg.org
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Agree the Tenement Museum is worthwhile.
Haqve you been to the Cloisters?
Another interesting museum is the Transit Museum. It's in a decommisioned subway station in Brooklyn and gives a nice history of transit in NYC with examples of subway cars going back to the early days. Details at http://mta.info/mta/museum/general.htm
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM

You might be interested in attending an auction at one of the big houses such as Christie's or Sotheby's. The Bronx Zoo can be combined with a visit to the Arthur Avenue area, which is one of our remaining Italian neighborhoods with small food shops, restaurants, a covered market, etc. It would help if you post your areas of interest.
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:33 AM

agree if you could specify your interests, could help more. Brooklyn, for instance, is hot hot hot, and you could easily spend a day there looking at museums, fabulous architecture, shopping and food. Let us know more and we can finetune!
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM

I also suggest you visit the Cloisters if you haven't in the past. You could combine it with a visit to Grant's Tomb and the Cathedral of St John the Divine.

How about a walking tour, or a gallery tour in Chelsea? Check out Time Out New York for many, many options. Watson Adventures' scavenger hunts are also a lot of fun (you "scavenge" for knowledge, not stuff).

Enjoy!
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Here are some more ideas: Forbes Gallery, Museum of the american indian, Museum of the moving image in Queens, greek food in astoria, indian food in jackson hts.
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

If you go to the Bronx zoo, also visit the Bronx Botanic Gardnes.
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Do you know of any good vintage shops in Brooklyn?

Many folks have recommended walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. Any recommendations of things to do near there?

Thanks for your time.
Feb 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM

The high school girls seem to like Beacon's Closet.
Feb 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM

this post:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34537905

on this forum, has some good listings of vintage and consignment info.
Feb 7th, 2006, 12:17 PM

If you walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, you'll be right in Brooklyn Heights- see my post above for some neat things in the area. Enjoy!
Feb 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your info..believe it or not, Ihave done all of the things mentioned except for the Transit Museum and the Mt. vernon. So I will try these. My son lives in Brooklyn, and you are right. the Botanical Gardens are superb-in fact, he is getting married there in July. Thanks again!
Feb 7th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Congratulations, MyBailey! That is a stunning place for a wedding.

Enjoy your trip!
Feb 7th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Well, my favorite tour is the Walking and Tasting tour of Greenwich Village. Next time, I 'm going to try the bike tour of Central Park. My favorite museum is the Frick. Next time I'm going to check out the Museum of TV (don't know the exact name). I did enjoy the Lower East Side Tenement museum - but you have done that. I want to do a backstage tour of Radio City Music Hall. My favorite plays have been Broadway and Off-Broadway shows where I've gotten front row center tickets on the day of the show (at the theatre's box office). There used to be a movie location tour that I thought about going on. The tour van shows excerpts of the movies as you drive from location to location.
Feb 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Thanks for posting a good question. Saving the insider stuff for our use in the future.

Our son lives in NYC so we visit often. We are always happy to fit any free time in with one of the shows and we also just enjoy walking about.

Sandy
Feb 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM

A good vintage shop in Williamsburg, Brooklyn is Ugly Luggage. They have household things/furniture/collectibles, not so many clothes items. Beacon's Closet is very popular, too, for clothing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO