Inns/B&B's/Guest Houses in the West Village

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to finalize arrangement for a 4 day stay in the West Village. I would like to stay in a B&B/Inn/Guest House arrangement. One that is available is the Greenich Village Habitue located just south of 13th St. around Hudson. Has anyone stayed there or have any info about it. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor, but I'm not quite sure of there authenticity. It is already late. I really need some help. I'm open to other suggestion, too.
Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 02:51 PM

You might want to try doing a search on the NYC forum at tripadvisor (and here for that matter) for more mention. I think the place is fine. There's also the Abingdon guest house, a place listed under "rooms to let" , the West 11th st Guest House (I know someone who stayed there and thought it was good. You get an apartment there).
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:53 AM

I have heard very good things about a B&B at 83 Horatio Street, which is in a lovely section of the Village. You can see the photos on:
www.roomstolet.net.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

I have booked the Greenwich Village Habitue. I believe it is in the same neighborhood at Rooms to Let. A post on Trip Advisor says that walking in the neighborhood late at night could be a problem and to take a cab if coming into the area late at night instead of the subway. This is news to me. Any input?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Walking at night will not be a problem. This is one of the most happening areas of manhattan. People will be walking around the area even at 4:00 AM. Additionally, you are extremely close to a subway station. You will be just fine.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I agree. There are no dangerous areas in the West Village; actually there are not many in Manhattan at all.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

That's what I thought. On previous visits I have never felt apprehensive about walking at night. That's when I feel the city is alive. I have a bigger problem with walking through the crowds in Time Square in the middle of the day. Any inside tips on restaurants, taverns, entertainment? I have tickets to see Harry Connick, Jr in The Pajama Game, but outside of that, my husband and I just like to walk around, sit and enjoy some wine and enjoy some great meals. I am not a shopper. I would like to find a Greenwich Village Society of Historic Preservaiton T-shirt, though. I made a donation online, but the t-shirts are sold out. Is there a shop that sells them? Thanks for the input.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:33 AM

You'll love "Pajama Game."

If the inn is at 13 st & Hudson, you're almost at the meatpacking district where there are lots of trendy restaurants, bars and shops. Spice Market is very good if you like Thai/fusion.

The Garage is a restaurant with live jazz in the west village.. I've had brunch there and it's good. The Knickerbocker Bar and Grill is another good jazz/rest. (I think they only have music on weekends though).
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:31 AM

The Spotted Pig is not far from where you are staying. They do not take reservations. You can also try one of Mario Batali's other places, Lupa or the new Del Posto. The first, Lupa, is casual, Del Posto is a bit more elegant but neither calls for dressy clothes.