Reload this Page >

Inner-Ear/Balance Problems While Flying

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Marty

I have a history of balance/inner-ear disturbance (it's more or less permanent - long and boring). The last time I flew, a Delta 727 I believe, I had the sensation of my brain being sucked out the soles of my feet, as utterly ridiculous as that may sound to someone who's never had the problem, when we were descending for landing. It was awful, and I wonder if anyone else reading this, who's had balance problems from MS, Meniere's Syndrome, etc. has ever experienced problems when flying. Now I'm afraid to fly again, as my balance problems continue on and off!

Thanks for any input.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:12 PM
havkhones

I use earplugs. After constantly having inner ear infections after certain flights(usually arriving in Detroit), I tried some common earplugs. I slowly release them with pressure changes in the airplane and ear and have seem to have gotten rid of the problem. I also take decongestants, drink a lot of water on the flight and chew gum.

Maybe its a placebo affect, but it seems to be working for me. The landings in Detroit are still a little rough at times(they hold a certain altitude for a long time that just kills my ears)but for the most part, the ear infections and balance problems have disappeared.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:19 PM
traveller

Hey havkhones, did you ever decide where to go for your vacation?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Marty

Havkhones, can you identify with this sensation I was describing, of my brain being sucked through my feet, as we land, just an awful sensation?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:34 PM
x

Could be an Aocustic Neuroma. See a doc.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:56 PM
havkhones

traveller.

No I havent, arrrrrgghhhh.

Hawaii is the current favorite but it sounds a little wet there the first week of December.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:58 PM
havkhones

Marty...yes i think so. i dont feel it in my feet if you are being literal. I do feel like my ears are sucking inside my head.

There is actually a commercial product available like my earplugs, i just cant think of the name.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Amy

I think the commercial earplugs you are referring to ear-planes. I've seen them at the drugstore, and you can find them on the web. I don't know if they will work for someone with a serious physical condition, but I used them when I had to fly with a terrible headcold, and they seemed to help.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 02:02 PM
xxx

Havkhones - not sure if you'll see this message buried in this topic, but for what it's worth, I went to Hawaii (Big Island) the first week of December last year. The weather was perfect, no rain at all (except up at the Volcano, where it is pretty common). Early December is a good time to go - cheap fares, low crowds.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:18 PM
x

Recently, the NPR show with Dr. Zorba - On Your Health, talked about this problem and he recommended Sudafed - might be worth a try. Sounds like an awful condition to suffer thru; hope you find some ease.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Who are you

I had the sensation of my brain being sucked out through my findertips, but I caught it in time.