Information on Yosemite

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Information on Yosemite

Hi

We are a couple in our late 20's and are planning a trip to the States in August. We want to go to Yosemite and are wondering how many days we will need in the park? We are not nature buffs but we do appreciate beautiful scenery. We have been taold that 2 days should be sufficient to see a lot of the park. Is this correct?

Also, we don't know whether we should stay in the aprk or just outside in Oakhurst? If in the park any suggestions on hotels?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 05:59 AM
cd

If you can get rooms I would definitely stay in the park. We stayed at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls and loved it for the beautiful scenery and central location. They have a shuttle that stops in front of the Lodge and is very useful in getting around. The only place we drove was to Mariposa Grove and I do recommend that! http://www.google.com/search?q=marip...w=1014&bih=615
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yosemite is beautiful. However, getting inpark lodging is a challenge and staying out of park is a long drive.

They have a luxury hotel, Yosemite Lodge and a fair amount of camping.

I would call, call, call and go to their web site to try for inpark lodging.

If you're not going to plan hiking you could do fine in a couple of days.

By mid-August the waterfalls will be fairly slow but for sure Glacier Road will be open.

Unless you hike Snetinel Dome or Taft point or something longer coming down all you need is a few hours on Glacier Rd to spend some time at Glacier Pt and/or Washburn Pt.

Try to do this during the week as that park can be a zoo. Not enough parking and too many cars.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:11 AM

Yes a couple of days should be enough. However, You might become a nature buff after a visit to Yosemite.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:57 AM

Although I saw a bear and a few deer, Yosemite doesn't have the amount of wildlife that Yellowstone & Grand Tetons have.

Since you don't have to wait for wildlife nor do you have to wait for geysers to erupt you should do fine in a coplue of days.

Now, I'm into photography and I was out early each morning. Everything looks different at different times of the day. Better reflections off the water early and late.

So matching what you want with what there is sometimes takes time.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:31 AM

I think Myer's first post needs clarification The luxury lodge is the Ahwahnee Yosemite lodge is more motel-like.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:42 AM

Yes, sf7307 is correct.

The luxury Ahwahnee and the very utility (and very acceptable) Yosemite Lodge and not the same.

We stayed at the Yosemite Lodge and were very pleased except that our parking lot was reserved for tour buses from 8AM to 8PM daily. A real pain looking for parking.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 08:40 AM

The Awahnee Yosemite Lodge--What does that mean?

Here is what they have at Yosemite
The Awahnee-Luxory/historic
Yosemite Lodge At The Falls-moderate
The Wawona-moderate/historic
Curry Village-budget/tent cabins/cabins/historic
Housekeeping Camp-tent camps
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge -tent cabin
White Wolf Lodge-tent cabins
High Sierra Camps-tent cabins
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are coming from the south (LA?) Spend the night before entering the Park in Oakhurst. Get up early the next morning to catch the best light for photos in Mariposa Grove. After leaving the Grove headed for the Valley make sure to stop at the viewpoint that you come to immediately after the tunnel.
If you can't get (or afford) lodging in the National Park, spend the next night in El Portal or the HI (Bug) Hostel near Midpines.
Do you have plans to see more things in CA besides Yosemite?
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM

There should have been a period between Ahwahnee and Yosimite in my post.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 09:12 AM

You absolutely MUST have reservations to be able to stay inside the park in August.

High Sierra tent cabins are only accessible by hiking and only reserveable by lottery. Tuolumne Meadows and White Wolf are sold out at this time, but there are sometimes cancellations closer to your arrival time. You really have to be persistent to get reservations in these places.

I've read some reviews of the Yosemite Bug that make it much more like a typical messy hostel than a low-end motel room.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM

There are some dates you can get the High Sierras without the lottery. Just look on their website. Yes, you should make reservations everywhere as early as possible(12 months out-to get what you really want).
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Well, don't look yet. The High Sierra won't be available until after Jan 15. What they haven't sold will be the days available. There was from 5-20 open dates at the various locations at each spot last year(usually during the week). Last year was a bad year though because of all the snow they didn't open until very late in the season.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
From Midpines it is a 45 minute drive into the Valley - IMO not a good substitute.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM

I don't think High Sierra Camps are the right place for people who describe themselves as "not nature buffs" as OP's post describes them.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 10:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree --don't think they are in to packing their stuff in . . .

Th Valley floor is where they'll want to stay.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM

One day for the valley if you are not into hiking but you will want a second day in the valley if you like like hiking. Add another day if you want to see the high country and drive the Tioga Pass up to Tuolumne meadows. Add a day if you want to do Glacier Point and Wawona & Mariposa Grove.

If at all possible try and stay in Yosemite Valley. It will cut down the driving time if you spend two nights there.

Utahtea
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 02:53 AM

Note that once in the Valley - the "Valley Floor" - you can use the good bus system to get around, or do as we do and rent bikes and have a blast. Watching the climbers at El Cap is also a favorite acticity - as is taking one of the Ranger Walks or going by the evening Ranger presentations. Just look at the schedule.

We enjoy getting a tent cabin at Curry Village - and while you do have to walk to the restroom/showers - it is kind of like going back in time to summer camp. And the pool in Curry Village - looking up at Glacier Point is also fun.

There are also some good movies over at the Visitor's center. I would suggest you spend at least 3 days - and some people come from all over the world for a week or more.

Have a blast at one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 01:46 PM

I urge you to stay in the Valley floor at Ahwanhee, Yosemite Lodge, or Curry. Don't stay at Wawona, about an hour from the valley floor. yes, couple of days is probably enough for you.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM

We stayed 1 night at Wawona and 2 or 3 nights at Curry. We loved both places. Wawona is out of the way for the Valley sights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information