info you may NOT see anywhere else

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just returned from vegas-arizona-utah-vegas road trip. used this board to plan the trip and wanted to give something back to you all for helping so much.

this is not your average trip report. i won't bore you with stuff you can read elsewhere. i only want to discuss things i saw and experienced on this trip that i did not expect. Despite hours of internet research on this board and other travel sites on the web I was still surprised several times.

we arrived in VEGAS and stayed 2 days, highlights: bellagio fountains, jubilee stage show, rio hotel carnival celebration. low lights: luxor tut exhibit: 10.00 bucks SO not worth it. We did a side trip to death valley which was neat, 120 degrees at the visitors center. note that many of the most beautiful and interesting areas were closed to the public because it was just too damned hot. we equated visiting the lowest point in the hemisphere with visiting mount washington in new hampshire during a blizzard. weather just too dangerous.

Hit the road south east into arizona, visited snow cap diner on route 66 in seligman. on to grand canyon stayed at bright angel lodge. cute and right on the rim. obviously a phenominal sight...

left GC via east exit and headed into painted desert. stopped at cameron trading post for lunch and shopping. excellent value try the navajo taco. loved it. I am now a big fan of navajo fry bread.

First big surprise of this trip was painted desert...this whole ride north towards kayenta is an amazingly colorful site and very exciting. painted desert is underrated, i think. it is definately a MUST SEE.

another MUST SEE is located north of monument valley. we stayed at recapture lodge in bluff utah for 2 days and fanned out from there to see the sights.

Valley of the gods is mentioned on this board and others, baby monument valley...but what isn't mentioned too often is moki dugway. you leave the valley of the gods and right up the highway is a road that leads upupup a cliff with a series of hairpin turns that gets quite scary and exciting as you go higher and higher. the view from the top takes your breath away...continue on to natural bridges and see some natural bridges before heading back southeast.

this whole area from bluff down is an amazing area of utah. i post it here because this was all one trip for us.

we continued west from there through page and viewed grand staircase/escalante on the way to moab for the night. this is also a beautiful area to see. scenery is amazing with the colorful hills.

on our last day we traveled through zion on our way back to vegas and even though we did not have time to take the shuttle tours, we were all really impressed with the scenery just from the road through.

thank you all for your help with this trip. 8 tourists from boston will never forget the experience we had there.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Thanks for tuning in, teegeezfun.
Fully agree that painted desert is far underrated. Better than GC; better than a forest of felled petrified wood.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 10:40 AM
bonniebroad

Teegeezfun, thanks for sharing your trip with us. I have yet to see Vegas-Arizona-Utah so your report makes me very interested in having DH and I make a trip out that way soon!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Hi teegeezfun, it is great to read about some not often mentioned places. I love the desert, but most people I know don't. I can only imagine how much you enjoyed your trip. Thank you for sharing.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Loved your comments...
Great report..
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:17 PM

It sounds like an average trip report???
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 05:32 PM

If you were impressed with the scenery of Zion from the main road, then you would have been blown away from the part the shuttle bus takes you on. You will have to come back to see the "canyon" of Zion.

I'm curious, how long was your trip? From your trip report you make it sound like you did a lot of driving in a very short time.

Utahtea
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

utahtea, you especially were very helpful. thanks so much. trip was 8 days. driving about 150 mi per day. totally a whislestop tour.