Reload this Page >

Inexpensive places to stay around Glacier NP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Dennis

I am looking for recommendations on inexpensive places to stay around Glacier NP. Several places in East Glacier Park looked interesting, among other possibilities. I will be there at the end of August / early September.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Bob Brown

I think East Glacier Park is your best bet. It is a few miles from Logan Pass, however, and a fair distance from Many Glacier. I have stayed in accommodations in the park which are managed by the park concessioner. I thought they were overpriced for what you got.
Waterton townsite in Canada, which is within Waterton National Park has some nice but fairly expensive motels.
The Kilmory, Bayshore, and Crandell Mountain Lodge are ok. The Aspen, formerly the Aspen - Windflower, is fully acceptable. But these motels do price themselves with full view of their location inside the park, right on Waterton Lake.

There are a few places west of the West Entrance along the highway to Kalispell. You could consult a AAA guide book to get their names. The only places I have stayed in recent visits are in Cardston, Alberta, Big Fork, Montana, and in chalet in Glacier itself that is reached by trail. In the past we went to motels in Whitefish and 3 locations within the park itself. Bigfork is a little too far away. Whitefish has seen a steady escalation in prices. It is not an easy decision because none of the places is really a check rated buy.

If I were going this year, I would think in terms of East Glacer, as you are, and Waterton townsite.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Debbie

We stayed at a place right on the river in Whitefish when we visited Glacier.It was either a Best Western or Quality Inn(nice,centrally located,had a fridge,etc.)The views from our balcony were gorgeous!It had a pool that was half inside and half outside which was perfect for relaxing at the end of the day.(Be sure and go to the Buffalo Cafe in Whitefish for one of their breakfasts-really great!)We enjoyed staying there as we could do our day trips all over Glacier,picked up raft trip nearby,etc. but did not have all the other tourists hassles at the time of the year.Have a super trip-any other questions,let me know!

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 03:45 PM
hobojo

Three years ago my family and I stayed at the Mini Golden Inn ( I think this is the name) in Hungry Horse Montana.
It was only about $80.00 per night, no pool, but very clean and free donuts and coffee in the morning. It is right outside the west entrance. I would not advise staying at the east entrance. The roads on that side of the park were not in good repair and the restaurants on the west side were nicer. We also found it easier to get to most of the attractions in the park from the west side. We did not have time to make it up to the Canadian side though.

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Jane

Debbie,

Am looking to stay at a hotel in Whitefish with the family and am wondering if the one you refer to is the Best Western Rocky Mtn Lodge?

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTT for Sabrina.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 10:01 AM

As the guys in my AF flight used to say, there is one in every crowd. I stayed at the Mini Golden Inns in Hungry Horse last year. I was not thrilled with my room. So put me down as casting a slightly negative vote against the establishment. It was better than a tent and a path, however. I have had better -- and worse.
The donuts did not impress me -- but they never do.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Dennis,
My husband and I went to Glacier National Park in '98, I think it was. We stayed at the Grouse Mountain Lodge, which is in Whitefish. This is about a 20-25 minute drive to one of the entrances to the park, although I cannot recall if it is the east or west entrance. Although we enjoyed the lodge, which has nice accomodations including a lovely golf course, a nice pool and hot tub area, mountain bike rentals, etc, I think we would have been happier staying closer to the park. Most of the activities that we wanted to do were IN the park, naturally (although my husband did do a good deal of fly fishing outside of the park) and the 20-25 minute drive each day was more than I thought it was going to be. We didn't realize that this lodge was that far a drive to the park. On the flip side, it can be nice to just grab a coffee and enjoy the leisurely, scenic drive each morning. Depends what you are into. I cannot remember how much the Grouse Mountain LOdge is, but the website (www.grousemountainlodge.com) can give you that info. Hope this helps!