Independence Pass in CO?

Search

Independence Pass in CO?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Patricia

Independence Pass in CO?

Hi:

I'm planning a trip the last week of April to Colorado. My main reason for going is to take the drive through Independence Pass. Is it open that early in the year? I went last year of Memorial Day and it was open already.

Thanks.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Breckboy

Independence pass usually doesn't open until Memorial Day. Even with the low snowpack I doubt if they'll get it open much earlier. The mountains in late April can have all kinds of wierd weather, including huge blizzards. I wouldn't recommend coming here until June, after "mud season" ends.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Connie

I hope you have seen more of Colorado. There are lots of areas as pretty if not more--the southwest corner especially.

I agree you need to go later.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:28 PM
gbindenver

I'd call the National Forest Service in Leadville or Aspen to see if they can give you a date for when they plow the road. They don't usually plow until the snow is in a few isolated spots. I wouldn't be too hopeful. Although the snowpack so far is 50-60% of normal, as the previous poster mentioned, anything can happen in April. Could be a huge blizzard or a huge warm spell. Don't forget Independence Pass is quite high is altitude, and even in mid-summer there are still pockets of snow. You might choose some lower in altitude areas to visit. Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction is good that time of year.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:21 AM
jim

And for God's sake, don't think about driving over Independence with some gigantic vehicle like a 3/4 ton truck pulling a fifth wheel. Its a very narrow road with many tight turns.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Trish

Hello, I'm going to be in Colorado in May and am curious of where Independence Pass is? I don't see it on the Map. Thanks!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Utahtea

To Trish,

Independence Pass is on Hwy 82 east of Aspen, Colorado. It's a very pretty pass.

To Jim,

We drove Independence Pass in our 24 ft. class A motorhome without any problems, but I wouldn't recommend towing a trailer over the pass.

Utahtea

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Trish

Thanks, for your answer.Nothing identifies it on any map I've seen.