Independence Airlines to Cease Operations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to today's Washington Post, Independece Airlines will discontinue flights after Thursday Eve( Jan 5)

Anyone holding tickets paid for by credit card, should contact their CC company about obtaining a refund.

Unfortunately, the loss of a low cost carrier can only mean that fairs may rise.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

From their email...

"Today is a sad day for Independence Air.

Today we must announce that we will be ceasing scheduled service operations this Thursday evening, January 5. The financial pressures in the industry have prevailed. We have run out of time.

It has been an amazing 18 months. We set out to challenge the status quo and to re-set your expectations about air travel. We set out to introduce you to lower fares and a new level of service delivered by employees who care. Currently ranked #2 in customer satisfaction among all US airlines, we are proud that we did indeed earn your respect and loyalty. We are proud that we built a brand so universally praised by over 8 million customers. We are proud of the mark we have made.

Customers with reservations whose trips are completed between now and Thursday evening should expect the same great service for which we have become known.

Additionally, we are seeking bankruptcy court approval to automatically provide refunds to customers holding reservations on flights occurring after our shutdown of operations on January 5th. No refunds will be offered for free tickets or vouchers.

Finally, we will be contacting those customers with itineraries that start before and end after our shutdown (including those customers who have already commenced their travel) to offer them the opportunity to change their return reservations to a flight on one of our remaining days of operation if possible. Customers can immediately change travel dates on their own by visiting the “Change Itinerary” section of our website, FLYi.com. All change fees will be waived when travel dates are changed via our website, but a difference in fare could be incurred (unfortunately, this results from a website process that cannot be disabled. Alternatively, if moving the return trip to one of our remaining operating days is not feasible, we are also seeking bankruptcy court approval to refund any amounts paid by these customers for their return reservations.

Please be aware that under section 145 of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (November 19, 2001) Congress has obligated U.S. airlines to offer stand-by transportation to passengers holding un-refunded tickets for airlines that have ceased operations due to insolvency or bankruptcy. The Act stipulates that passengers must make their request to carriers serving the same routes as the bankrupt carrier and must do so within 60 days of the cessation of service. The U.S. Department of Transportation has ruled that airlines who offer the stand-by transportation may charge $50 one-way per person to cover related expenses.

Further information can be found on our website, FLYi.com.

Today is a sad day for Independence Air. Today is a sad day for our customers who have gotten used to tender loving service and paying less for air travel. We will miss serving you. Thank you for your vigorous support.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:00 AM
GoTravel

Independence air is owned by what major carrier? Whomever they are will pretty much absorb the IA flights.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Independece Air is owned by Flyi, Inc.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:50 AM

I think Independence used to be owned by United or one of the other major carrier, but broke away on its own several months ago, so there's no fallback position as far as reservations or, for instance, frequent flyer miles.

The report I heard today said you should expect the other airlines to follow the law and offer standby tickets (for the $50 fee) for anyone holding Indepenence tickets. And you can expect that frequent flyer miles will disappear unless another airline makes a special offer for former Independence flyers.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Independence was not owned by UAL. they were owned by Flyi, Inc.

They were known as Atlantic Coast Airlines from 1989 to 2003, and operated as United Express for United Airlines and Delta Connection for Delta Air Lines.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:32 AM
GoTravel

Ignore me because I was thinking of Song Airlines which was owned by Delta.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:42 AM

I guess I was thinking of their days as United Express. But the point is that no one should think a major parent carrier is going to pick up Independence's operation.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:24 AM

I'm sorry to see this loss. I have happily flown them and was pleased with connections and services. I thank them for a good go! They did their best.