Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Independence Air - Should I consider flying this airline?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping those who have flown Independence can give me some feedback. Planning a trip to Savannah and Charleston and they have the lowest fare. I know that have been flying under a different name as a United partner for several years but just recently started their own airline.

Planning this trip for April 2005 and want to be sure they appear to be solvent and provide good service before booking tickets.

Thanks to anybody who can provide me with more information.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:39 AM
GoTravel

So book with them.

No one can tell you for certain what airlines will be flying in April.

As far as providing good service, ask 10 people about one airline and I promise you will get 10 different answers.

I think if you sign up for their FF program online, you can get an additional $25 off each ticket.

I wouldn't hesitate to book with them.

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 04:40 PM

My understanding is Independence Air is a very good airline.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 04:49 PM

My husband has flown Independence several times from Buffalo to DC and they have been late departing 4 out of 5 times. But, because Independence is an inexpensive carrier, I will continue to book with them. Why pay more when you can never be assured that an airline will arrive at its destination on time?
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 06:12 PM
bamakelly

I just booked a 3-leg trip with flyi and it is so dirt cheap I can't believe it! I have flown many of the other small airlines (Jetblue is my favorite) so I don't mind trying a new one. I will be sure to write in after my trip if you have not booked by that point (I am going in Nov). But I can tell you this: I booked my flight in Aug and they changed the flight schedule this week. They called me at home AND sent an email to tell me about the change and offer me alternatives if the flight change did not work with my schedule. I call that good service,

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Keep in mind that all Indepedenece fly right now are 50-seat regional jets. They have larger Airbuses coming, but will be used for longer routes, not Savannah or Charleston.

So, don't expect a 737 or A320.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:40 PM

We're flying D.C. to Charleston tomorrow. I'll let you know how it went. It's less than a 2-hour flight, so plane size isn't an issue for us.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Hi,

I flew them in July to go from DC to Manchester, NH. I thought they were fine, and I would definitely use them again.

Karen
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:36 AM

My wife just returned from a Washington Dulles- Louisville KY trip- For $75 roundtrip
You can't beat those prices with a stick. The flight was on time but even if it was not we will use them again.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:37 PM
bamakelly

Flew this airline this past weekend. We flew 4 legs during our trip due to a two-part vacation over a 5 day period. We enjoyed the airline. If you have ever flown JetBlue, it is very similar. Jets are smaller than huge airliners, but are ample and do not feel unsafe. Flight attendants are couteous and helpful (I had a baby so this was important). There are many, many employees on the ground to help you as well. Much more so than bigger carriers. All flights except one were on time and all flights (including the one that left late) arrived a few minutes early. I was very pleased and will fly again.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:52 PM

I just flew Dulles to IND and it was all positive. I'm delighted and will have a return to Dulles, then JetBlue (my favorite also) to California.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:33 AM

I've had a good experience with them as well. I flew from DC to New York and got moved to an earlier flight because I got the airport early. That was extremely helpful and they made it very easy. I didn't have to pay or fill out any paper work.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM

My girlfriend & I have flown Independence (separately) and had excellent experiences. I flew on a regional jet, on time, and she flew cross-country on a big plane, also on time.

And, unlike Southwest, Independence actually has the decency to assign seats.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:12 PM

I agree, assigning seats makes such a huge difference.
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Sid

Go for it. I've flown them a few times and have had no problems at all.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Quick answer unless you don't mind the no-frills everything costs money and friendly service is anything but standard, I would say to evaluate your other options...However, they are short flights there on the east coast so it's not the end of the world. I would go for it despite the drawbacks if the fare is at least $20 or so per person cheaper...Anything within that may result in a disgruntled passenger, by whom I mean you.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Please pardon my ignorance, what is a regional jet? A propeller plane? or smaller than a 737, but bigger than a prop? Thanks.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:06 PM

A regional jet is a 37-seat to 90-seat, jet-powered plane typically used for short regional flights. A typical size is 50 seats. They're fast, the flights are usually as smooth as with larger jets (since they have the same service ceiling as the big planes)-- they're just smaller.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Cassandra

It's 3 months later, Cira, and I believe Independence is kaput!

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Actually, I believe Independence is doing just fine.

www.flyi.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -