Search

in Chicago, W Hotel or Sheraton?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:13 AM
gwp

in Chicago, W Hotel or Sheraton?

Two quick questions:
Which would you choose and why?
What is the area like around each at night (specifically, is there foot traffic, are there restaurants close by, is it safe?)
Thanks!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:12 PM
anne

Also wondering about the Chicago W hotel--has anyone stayed there?

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:25 PM
Ron

Although this is a pretty old message, I was wondering if you ever got a response to your question. We are thinking about staying at the W in Oct.

Thanks,

Ron

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:30 AM
marilyn

I drove by it today, and it still seemed to be under construction. It seems to be where the old Holiday Inn Lake Shore Drive was (though I think the property was something else in the more recent past). Anyway, it is on the inner Lake Shore Drive around 600 north. The lake views would be nice, but it's a bit of a hike to Michigan Avenue, and a little off the beaten shopping path.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:53 PM
Ron

Thanks Marilyn. I'm wondering if we are talking about the same place. Used to be the Midland Hotel. It's on W. Adams and La Salle. Looks like 5 blocks on the map . . . of course they could be some very loooong blocks.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:27 AM
TJ

The W Hotel is not well-located for nighttime walking activity; it's toward the south end of the Loop, where there's not much evening action, and the area may feel a little unsafe. The Lobby Bar, however, is a must-visit; the hottest bar in Chicago right now.

The Sheraton, although a big, nondescript hotel, is much better located, a block or two from the foot of the Magnificent Mile.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 07:51 AM
marilyn

I guess Chicago is getting a second W Hotel, because there is a place around 600 N. Lake Shore Drive still under constructon with a big sign that says Chicago's W Hotel. Many years ago this was the Hoiday Inn Lake Shore Drive, with one of those revolving restaurants on the top.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Michelle

Just spent two nights at the W Chicago City Center. All the amenities that the W(s) are known for: down bedding; cool, stylish service people; contemporary (yet, subdued) lighting. I didn't enjoy the location as much as other hotels in downtown Chicago. It is great for business people, but puts you a little further from sightseeing and shopping activities. The lobby was abuzz with people when we checked in - like a cool bar. I wouldn't stay at this W again - it's only because of the location. I'll definitely try the new W when it opens. I enjoy the W experience!!!!!