Reload this Page >

In and out of NY - help please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 10:01 AM
Harry

In October, my wife and I are staying in New York for the first time. After four days we are going to drive to Niagara. Can I please have help with the following?
The best way to get from JFK to mid Manhattan and costs please?
When we leave, we are going to make an early (7.00 a.m.)start for the day's drive to Niagara. Is it best to hire a car in Manhattan or from one of the airports - that is, where will we find it easiest to drive out of town from?
Sorry if this is complicated but please help.

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Howard

Taking the second question first, assuming you are staying in mid-Manhattan, there are plenty of car rental locations that are close by. That is definitely easier than going back out to the airport to rent a car. When you call to rent the car, tell the agent what your location will be and he/she will direct you to the nearest site.
As for getting from JFK to the city, what do you mean by "the best way"? The fastest? A limo, probably. The cheapest? A bus.

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 04:51 PM
Heather B.

Hi,
There is a bus service that will take you from JFK to mid-town for about $13.00. They stop at Grand Central Station & Port Authority Terminal. They also have trips that go to midtown hotels. They used to be called the Carey bus, but have changed their name to New York...(can't remember the rest). If you follow the signs for ground transportation/bus stop, you are sure to run into the person selling tickets.

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 05:11 PM
Frank

Check rates carefully when renting a car in Manhattan. Major auto rental companies will frequently charge in excess of $100 per day plus 13.25% tax. Rates vary based on the size of the car and the day of the week. Rates at airports and in Queens may be more reasonable but obviously a lot less convenient. It pays to make a reservation well in advance and check with several different companies.

A taxi from JFK costs about $35 plus toll and tip and are plentiful at the airport.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 12:57 PM
HelenF

I'm wondering about your 7am Niagara departure time -- do you plan to have picked up your rental the night before, parking near/at your hotel, or is the rental agency your first stop? My friends who live in upper Manhattan like to rent in Ft. Lee, NJ, which is just over the G. Washington Bridge. It's neither an airport location, nor in NYC, so the rates should be lower -- maybe enough to pay for your cab from the hotel. Plus, then you've paid someone to drive you NW of the city, if NYC driving is an issue for you. (You can also get there by a bus from the Port Authority, but unless you're really obsessed with saving every dollar, this seems to be more trouble than it's worth.) My friends have used Enterprise, I'm not sure what other companies operate in that area.