Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I'm Less confused about Boston, but still a few weird questions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
viragdom

Thank you all for the ideas and help on the place to stay in Boston. By the way, when my son was 1 we spent one day in Boston, the locals were the nicest people!!! We found a room at the Courtyard on Tremont finally that will work with a one year old and a three year old. I am curious if there are large grocery stores in Boston or is it corner markets like in NYC. We will need baby food, diapers, milk, creal, etc... stuff for kids to not have to eat out every single meal. It sounds like Boston is expensive!!! I saw there was a Trader Joes there, love that place. Am I located anywhere near it? Can't wait to see how different things are in Boston than in Las Cruces.

Old May 7th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As in many cities, tourists stay in the downtown/sightseeing areas rather than the more residential areas - and these areas don't have big supermarkets. This is the case where you are staying. There are convenience stories, large pharmacies, etc. but not real supermarkets. While you will pay more in these smaller stores, it is not really worth it to haul stuff from home or take a cab to a larger market. CVS and Brooks are large pharmacy chains which have taken to stocking a row or 2 of non-perishable food items plus milk, ice cream, etc. They may even have everything you need.

There is a big Trader Joes on Memorial Drive in Cambridge (not really near where you are staying). I do not know of any closer to where you are (I also love Trader Joes and wish they would open one near me - about 25 miles north of Boston).

I think it is a good idea to try to avoid eating every meal out. One informal eating out option is to go to Quincy Market (Faneuil Hall area - near waterfront, North End, on Freedom Trail). There is a main building, 2 parallel markets and assorted places around. The main market building has a great assortment of food stalls - everything from pizza, pastries, coffee, etc and there are central places where you can sit and eat - the same idea as any food court, but the food is better. Also, where you are staying is relatively close to Chinatown. Get takeout some evening - or even take the kids out. Be brave and go into one of the tiny storefront restaurants. Boston also has more pizza and donut places per block than anyplace else I have ever been.

A silly and somewhat obsessive packing hint. Bring some plastic forks and knives. When we travel and get takeout, they always seem to come in handy - and restaurants don't always put them in the bag. We just returned from London and my silly plastic forks saved a meal or 2 when we got food to go.
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Let me add one more obsessive packing hint: zip lock baggies. Any leftovers store nicely in them.

These is a lovely new supermarket near Copley if you are set on "shopping" and are in the area.

Have a great trip!
Old May 7th, 2005, 04:11 PM

You can pick up the Green Line of the Boston T at the Common and take it to the Shaws supermarket located by Copley Place and Trader Joes located on Boylston. Your hotel is not really located near other supermarkets to my knowledge. The T is convenient and inexpensive way to get around Boston. We usualy stay in the Copley area because of its' convenient location to shopping, etc. The are several kids friendly places to eat in the Prudential Center/ Copley shopping complex as well.
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Sorry, what are your dates? From Boston and in your neighborhood often, perhaps I could assist you. Your hotel is lovely, the lobby is wonderful, just a hint of history and elegance. The conceirge can direct you to local CVS Pharmecy that have many supplies you need. And the Shaws across from Sax 5th is great and close to Trader Joes'. "is it like corner markets in NYC?????????" Oh I wish. We have horrid convenience chain stores that provide little but fluff. So when do you arrive?
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:31 PM

>>Can't wait to see how different things are in Boston than in Las Cruces.<<

We just got back from Las Cruces earlier this evening - the oldest son of one of our closest friends graduated from NMSU. He's off to CO State for vet school.

We visited Boston and part of upstate NY a few years ago. We loved all the green and the way the trees along the highways screen the houses from view - but after about a week, it felt kind of claustrophobic and we missed New Mexico's wide open spaces! Have a good trip.

Lee Ann
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:06 AM
viragdom

We will be in Boston June 5th-11th. Is it usually nice weather at the beginning of June? How do you all live w/o big grocery stores? We are so spoiled with our Super Wal Marts and Albertsons.

Old May 8th, 2005, 12:34 PM

What good is a large supermarket if you can't even find a place to park a car?

There's a large garage at Prudential, and therefore there's large supermarket.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM

The weather is generally quite nice in early June. It is one of my favorite months of the year.

I don't think you will find many cities the size of Boston that have lots of grocery stores and discount chains right in the downtown area. There are plenty of Wal-Marts, large grocery stores, etc OUTSIDE the city.
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM

There is a rather large convenience store on Tremont, 1/2 block from Tremont Hotel, sorry don't remember the cross street. Maybe the locals know - it's in the theater area, where you turn to the Charles theater for the Blue Men group. It's like 7-11, or maybe it is 7-11?