Illinois in the winter

Search

Illinois in the winter

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Illinois in the winter

My husband and I are visiting a friend in Naperville, IL in the beginning of December, actually 12/8/16 to 12/12/16. We plan on going downtown to Chicago for a day to the Christkindlmart. So besides going to Chicago, does anyone have any other suggestions of a day trip in the area, whether it being in IL or up to Wisconsin, we are game to up to 2-3 hours from Naperville. Plus if anyone has any suggestions for restaurants in or around Naperville, that would be very helpful.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 08:55 PM

There's lots more to do in Chicago; you could easily spend another day there.
Come to Milwaukee for the Art Museum, Harley Davidson Museum, Public Market, Third Ward shops and restaurants.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 08:21 AM

What are your interests? The Museum of Science and Industry has an annual exhibit of Christmas trees from around the world. You'd need to plan at least a half-day for a visit.

The Field Museum has an exhibit of the terra cotta warriors and the Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and Art Institute of Chicago are nearby.

You can shop and see the decorations on the Mag Mile and Macy's on State. Be sure to go to the eighth floor to view the Great Tree.

The Chicago History Museum has an ongoing exhibit on Abraham Lincoln and a new exhibit on Mainboucher, the first American couturier. www.chicagohistory.org

How will you be getting from Naperville into the city? If you plan to drive, allow 60-90 minutes and budget around $30 per day to park. You can find the best deals on parking at www.parkwhiz.com or www.spothero.com. An alternative is to take Metra Rail's BNSF line to Union Station, then use CTA buses or trains to move round. Check http://www.metrarail.com/maps-schedu...ain-lines/BNSF for Metra schedules and fares. Check www.transitchicago.com for CTA schedules, fare info and a trip planner.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 07:09 AM

The market also has a location in Naperville.
http://www.christkindlmarket.com/naperville/

If the weather is nice, downtown Naperville is walkable with lots of shops and restaurants. There is also the Riverwalk.

http://downtownnaperville.com/

http://www.naperville.il.us/globalas...k-brochure.pdf

If you go into the city (using Metra, above), Daley Plaza, where the market is, is an easy 10 minute walk from Union Station.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 08:06 AM

I'm not a Chicago native so I've never quite understood the love for Christkindlmart. Prepare yourself for huge crowds and long lines, bring plenty of cash for $8 hot chocolate and the other food booths. We were un-impressed with the Streudel that seemed to be filled with canned fruit jam (no wonder that line was shorter....). I hear the potato pancakes and sausages are better choices but a woman towards the front of line said it had taken her 25 min to get within reach of the front so we skipped it and went to lunch as it was freezing the year we went.

I would definitely plan other sights to retreat to after an hour or two at the mart. The Art Institute and MCA are incredible, ice skating at Millennium Park, a walk through Macy's might be fun. If you like things like high tea, the Drake and the Peninsula are always filled with happy people in December.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 12:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would go into Chicago every day you're in Napierville.