Reload this Page >

Ihilani resort and spa, Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 07:27 AM
Svetlana

Has anyone stayed at the Ihilani resort and spa, Oahu? I would appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 09:50 AM
alex

Just came back from Ihilani(4 nights) and 7 nights in Grand Wailea(Maui). My wife loved Ihilani. In her opinion she would rate Ihilani as the top resort in the world. The service was excellent. Everyone calls you by name. The rooms are large and VERY clean. I emphasized VERY, because some of the best hotels in Hawaii have problems with small ants due to the tropical climate. However we found no such problem in Ihilani. It is located in very remote and tranquil location. The beach is very nice and the ocean is calm.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 12:34 AM
Mike

Alex, how was the food at the hotel?

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 10:09 AM
David Laredo

Please see my posting on the disappointing practice of the Ilihani to exclude guests from the pool and beach access when they choose to hold a private function at the sole pool and pool deck.

The gist fo the mission statement of the resort is to privide the highest resort experience AND to maximize profit for the owners. (No kidding, I know this from the time I spent in the 4th floor office seeking an explanation as why we were excluded from use of the pool).

The resort does a better job of maximizing profit than from providing a full quality experience.

As to food, it was good, but not has good as the price would lead you to expect. We had better food and service at the Hyatt on Kuaii.
dlaredo

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 05:40 PM
alex

When I was there, they also had a private party. But, this time only part of the pool deck was closed. The rest of the pool and facilities were available.

I have to agree with your statement about the food. Azul was good, but I would not call it exceptional. I found that the restaurants in Grand Wailea on Maui were better. Also, within 20-30 minutes of Grand Wailea there are at least 4-5 excellent restaurants. Ihilani is so far from major areas that we did not feel like driving for dinner to other restaurants.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 01:15 PM
Dave

We had a fun meal at Chili's which was about a 7 minute drive from the hotel. It wasn't gourmet (but we did have the best server I have EVER met), but was fun and about 1/10th the price of the hotel restaurants.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 07:37 PM
Angie

I lived in Hawaii for nearly 5 years and have just recently moved back to the mainland. Not long ago, I went for a getaway spa weekend at the Ihilani. I also have a friend whose wedding was held there. It's beautiful, but it is far removed from restaurants and any other activities on Oahu. The spa treatments were great, but I think half a day would have been enough. Other than the spa, there's nothing to do in that area. The food was only okay...there are much better places to eat on Oahu. I agree with Alex that the Grand Wailea on Maui is a much better choice.