Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you were the reviewer, what would make the difference?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Cassandra

I suppose you can call this a troll in that it's a generalized question that could cover all of travel, but I had a conversation last night with a friend at a restaurant and compared notes about how we would rate restaurants and hotels if we were professional reviewers.

For example, my friend is unimpressed with cheap candies on her pillow but is very impressed with a small dish of expensive chocolates on the bedstand, which she's seen only once. She also loves heated bathroom floors, is unimpressed with heated towel bars because they only heat the fold of the towel. Absence of the weather channel on the television is big points off for her.

In upscale restaurants, I award extra points for a good tea selection, including herbal teas, in any restaurant that serves more than 2 kinds of coffee. I deduct points for cold bread, but warm bread if it's dried out doesn't get you points. I have a complicated point system regarding how many times the waitstaff check on you -- too many times is negative -- and how they do it -- interrupting is negative.

How do you award "points" in your system?

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would never make a good critic, because what works at one place for me, doesn't at another. With restaurants the main points are earned by the overall ambiance of the place and that is something that is simply impossible to rate by a checklist. And of course, the main overall effect a place has on me probably has more to do with my mood when I enter than anything else.

That said, the two most important things to me in a hotel room are a really good shower and a comfortable bed. All the chocolates in the world won't make up for a shower that spits a little stream at me.

The view from the room used to be a lot more important to me than it is any more. I used to always pay extra to get a waterview room or whatever, but I learned a long time ago that I'd rather be sitting in the hotel's lounge or deck facing the water, than standing at my window looking out. Bellagio in Las Vegas is a good example. I have had both a fountain view room and a "parking lot" view, and frankly I didn't see any reason for the difference unless it was a free upgrade. I never stand at my window looking at the fountains, but I love having a drink on the deck downstairs and watching them.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:22 AM

Not a troll at all! I like questions like this they make me think about what makes a difference to me.
I agree with Patrick in that it depends on the place and what I am expecting. Mentioning the Bellagio brings to mind one of my most important hotel requirements..a comfortable bed and pillows and a quiet room! When traveling, I need that comfy bed and no noise from either the street or the hall.
Candies are irrelevant, but I do appreciate the bottles of water that some hotels provide. Good bath soaps, I hate having that itchy dry skin from cheap hotel soap and I don't want to think about remembering to pack soap!
and most of all CLEAN!
I do like some sort of view, I do tend to stand and look out the window and watch what is going on outside.
Restaurants:
I hate waiters telling me their names. I don't want to know their names. We will never be friends. I will not tell them my name.
I like them to hover out of sight and watch and SEE if I need them, not come to the table every 5 minutes and ask me how I am doing....aarrgghhh...
I too like warm bread and I like it if they ask if we want oil...I don't!
I like it when I put down the menu, ready to order, that someone shows up in the next half hour and takes that order!
When something is not right, I love it that they take it away immediately and bring it back soon just right with no need for my explaining why it was yucky.

so what do you think, am I picky?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:25 AM
cfc

Great post, troll or not.

A resounding second to comment about the shower head. No hotel with shower heads that either drizzle a single small stream or create a vague heavy mist can get more than 2 stars from me, and they'd better be incredible otherwise even to get that second star. It's the single most important thing to me.

I take off big points for bad odors -- mustiness, mold/mildew, heavy cleaning chemicals, and what-all.

I add points for plenty of big towels and guest-controlled air conditioning that's not a growling, clanking window unit.

In a restaurant, points come off if the restroom doesn't live up to the ambiance and cleanliness of the rest of the place - and I'll add a point for a casual place with a spotless restroom.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Hotels......If my reservation is not in order,it goes down hill from there.I hate being called "sir" by someone twice my age..I will be "sir" down the line...And I know the 'sir" is condescending anyway.A warm,"welcome" will suffice.Crisp linens,clean bathroom clean towels...All in place so housekeeping does not knock to bring more towels as I am getting into the shower.A warm ThankYou when I am checking out will bring me back.
As a formwer waitron,everywhere I worked it was policy to introduce yourself...if you had a problem you could ask by name.Yes, I get the feeling sometimes too.The hostess seats you.."Wendy will be your server"..Then here comes "Ginny"...What happened to "Wendy?" Oh she's off today...A tipoff that things might not go so well?Yes its cheesy....I hate comments about what I am wearing.."Nice shirt"...What, now she's a fashionista????Drinks, food,service that's all I'm there for....Again, Thank You will probably bring me back.....
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Well I can probably offer the view of the average traveler...not on a shoestring, but not carte blanche (for instance, few places I travel offer chocolate or heated floors For my room, I want a comfortable bed...not something that feels like a plank. Kuddos for something other then a cheap bedspread, and hard pillows. Give me something I might have on my own bed at home. Quiet rooms...where I don't hear every person that comes down the hall. I've stayed in some wonderful places that lost major points b/c it sounded like cardboard served as the walls. Room Service that isn't twice the cost of what it should be...double points when your used dishes/leftovers don't remain outside door until housekeeping comes the next day. Decent sized showers/bathtubs with good pressure, larged sized towels, and a seperate toilet room. I could care less about having a desk, but appreciate extra drawers in the dresser and hangers in the closet. Extra and easy to reach plugs, what with all the gadgets we have to recharge these days on a trip. And points off for the ridiculous habit of offering bottled water in a room and charging four times the amount for it. I could see double, but four times?! Please...

For a restaurant, definitely agree with a waiter who is available but not hovering. Do not bring a selection of desserts by my table unless I ask... Points if my glass is never empty..and big points off if I have to ask you to refill it. Points if you are careful to not deliver a course right after the previous one...irksome to have just started on your salad to have your entree delivered. I will tell you though, if a waiter is obviously trying hard but still making a few errors, I am very understanding...everyone is human, and when a server is friendly and earnest, I think they deserve some leeway. I would honestly take that any day over a waiter whose execution is good, but whom acts put out that you are even there. Points for an appetizer or dessert menu that isn't half heartedly put together with boring "standards"...as much attention should be put into its creation as for the entrees. Points off for a restaurant which has to many tables...ever been seated somewhere you can't get to? Such as b/c a neighboring table has its chair pulled out, you can't pull yours out?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:48 AM

BeachBoi - I understand that being called Sir may make you feel old, but to say it's condescending? I always thought it was polite.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Hmmm, good question.

Hotel musts:
- Cleanliness and no bad odors! (Dealbreakers IMO)
- Comfortable bed and extra pillows
- More than one bath towel and towels that are big enough to actually wrap around oneself.
- Proper soundproofing to block noice from street, hallway and neighboring rooms.
- Good shower spray and water pressure.

Extra Credit for:
- Bathrobes
- Irons, coffeemakers
- Hairdryer of sufficient wattage to dry my hair in under an hour! (LOL)
- Good view
- Free local calls

Mega Credit for:
- Balcony
- Bathtub with spa jets
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Branv, to be charged for the water in the room would be a minus point! We have just returned from a hotel that had two fresh bottles of water in the room at all times, free! Also free coffee/espresso/cappacino/tea in the lounge all day and night. I agree with the closets and hangars! This hotel had a small dresser IN the closet which was a treat but no safe! I like having a room safe too.
Don't forget sufficient light! We need to see in the bathroom mirror and when reading before bed-or writing notes for that trip report!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:26 AM

Speaking of showers....I want the hotel to splurge on that extra foot of copper pipe and raise the shower head high enough so I don't have to bend over to wash my hair. (And I'm only 5'9")
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:36 AM

While we are on the subject of showers - I cannot stand it when the showerhead is so high that I have to stand on the side of the tub to adjust it.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Scarlett's first post reminded me of something at restaurants I can't stand... when waiters go over specials, wines, desserts, etc. and they say "I have." "Tonight I have an excellent grilled salmon." No you don't.... unless you are the owner, you don't have anything. You represent the restaurant... say "we."
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:54 AM

This is shaping up to be a classic. Should be mailed to the CEO's of all the chains.

BIG points off for using flat instead of fitted sheets on the mattress, which don't stay tucked in. This is expecially bad when the mattress is covered with plastic or there's a "rubber" (plastic") mattress pad, but I hate waking up to find the sheet all bunched under me and my face on the mattress.

Another big negative: no bathroom fan. This is unpleasant in so many ways.

In restaurants: Points off for ANY indication whatsoever that the server is disappointed by what I order -- whether it's because it wasn't enough, or because it wasn't the special, or because it's an odd combination, or whatever. I don't particularly like hearing whether the server approved of my choice, either -- it's not his/her job to evaluate my choice, and I don't believe a word of it anyway when they say, "excellent choice, sir!"

Also, I understand the impulse to save dishwashing costs or limit how many utensils they have to keep on hand, but it still bothers me a lot to have someone ask me to keep my knife or my fork for the next course -- especially if that means trying to find a clean place to lay it until that course comes.

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:58 AM

I give extra points for good,comfortable pillows, robes and hot tea (not just coffee) in the room. Double extra points for "free" bottled water, not paying $3 out of the minibar. Also, good bath products are a definate bonus. Negatives-soap so small it disappears after one shower and dirty bathtubs/showers-yuck!

For restaurants, lotion in the bathroom is a definate bonus. Snobby waiters or waiters who don't know what they're serving (or how to pronounce it) are definate no-nos. And the food must be HOT!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:08 AM
cd

Hotel: Big points for clean, clean, clean facility including the hallway, large fluffy towels, great shower spray, comfortable bed where sheets don't come off during the night, and view.
Restaurant: Wait staff that gives good service and don't hang out talking to you. And I HATE a salad with iceburg lettuce, a few tomatoes and cucumbers, cheap, cheap, cheap.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Big points for a comfy bed with nice sheets. Also love the late day replenishing of towels.

In a restaurant I hate being offered the salad bar. If I wanted to prepare my own salad I'd stay home. Also toss the salad before it's served don't just pour the dressing over the plate.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:26 AM

Most of my experience with hotels has been for business travel so my comments are mostly about the things I appreciate when traveling alone and on business. When I'm with my family its a whole different set of issues.

Hotels - Points for:

- a decent room service menu that is not a fortune.
- a decent shower with a reasonable ability to control the temperature of the water - no scalding me or freezing me.
- clean towels that don't smell weird and no yucky shower curtains.
- no brown in the decor. Its depressing and makes a room feel dark, dank and unclean because you know the brown was chosen to hide dirt.
- no dimly lit hallways. They make me uncomfortable about security.
- windows that open at least enough to get some fresh air.
- artwork on the walls that doesn't look like it came from Walmart.
- a comfortable easy chair to sit in so you don't spend all night sitting on the bed.
- an iron and ironing board is great but I also need an accessible plug to be able to use them.

Restaurants get points for:

- waitstaff that is neither overly friendly nor condescendingly cold. Don't sit down at my table to tell me your life story and don't look at me like I don't belong in your establishment because I'm not young, or hip, or rich enough or whatever.

- original decor that doesn't look like you bought it at Walmart or copied it from TGIFridays. There's a truly good Asian restaurant that I go to that has the strangest looking decor and I know that the owners bought posters for the wall at Walmart. This is not a cheapy place either. It really detracts from the food.

- breakfast places that are not tacky from syrup.

- clean bathrooms with stocked paper towels (of course real are even better), wastebaskets that are not overflowing and no water on the floor.

- and of course food that is delicious, honest, not overly pretentious with too many ingrediants that don't really work together and well cooked and presented.

I don't think its a lot to ask.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Restaurants:
--Ambience is 50% of the score for me. Can't be quantified and pigeonholed, and everyone has a different taste in this regard. I love either lots of natural light and a view (daytime) or clubby atmosphere with low lights and lots of dark wood and booths (with working fireplace for extra bonus points)
--MUST HAVE GREAT DESSERTS (or we won't return)
--service with any hint of genuineness gets major points and a >20% tip from me. Asking an unnecessary but unintrusive question to create brief conversation, etc.
--Extreme cleanliness is a must, must, must.
--Bonus points: LOVE warm bread or gratis sample appetizers, good red wine selection, quirky/original atmosphere elements (like the original Postrio etc)

Hotels:
--Showers and beds are the most important, followed closely by style of design in the rooms, type of furniture, colors.
--Like Patrick, view is less important to me unless the hotel is in a unique location (I still want a water view at a beach hotel, etc)
--Provided that service is polite and efficient I don't need people to bend over backwards to make my stay any better.
--Cleanliness must be an obvious priority for the hotel.
--Big bonus points for very nice linens and very thick towels.
--Couldn't care less about mints/candies. Never eat 'em.
--Big bonus points for a good fitness center. The Four Seasons San Francisco has a 100,000 sq ft center that is the ultimate.
--Love the free shoeshine services, newspaper at the door in the AM. Love the Peninsula Chicago's little mailboxes for the suites.
--Presence or absence of an on-site restaurant makes no difference to me.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:48 AM
RLA

I like the waiter/waitress to be available, but don't like to be fussed over.

In hotels, like to have a view even if not much time spent in the room as well as one extra towel and in-room coffee with newer coffee pot. I insist on squeaky clean, updated bathrooms (those old tiny tiles "feel" dirty to me even if they are not) with good lighting. My other must-have's include carpet I feel good about walking on(clean and like-new not a problem in most nice places) and clean, new or like-new tightly woven blankets (prefer Velux). My family laughs when I bolt to inspect the blanket upon entering the room. I have never taken wipes or Lysol with me, but have a bit of a phobia about door handles, light switches, and above all, the remote control. I read that one of those black-light tests revealed that the remote was the most bacteria- laden thing in the room. Yikes! I don't watch t.v. per say in there, but have to have it on to hear news/weather. I like to know of any major events taking place even on vacation.

BchBoi - It breaks my heart when I hear people are offended by being addressed as Sir or Ma'am. In the South and in Texas it is purely a respect thing and has absolutely NOTHING to do with age. I hope one can likewise respect that when in those regions and take it as a compliment. If I were visiting a place where it means something else culturally and is offensive, then I would do my best to try and refrain from using it. My husband is the quintessential southern gentleman so it would be out of his mouth before he could even think about it. He still opens the car door for me after twenty-one years of marriage! Remember this when traveling in the South:

"Hearts like doors
will open with ease,
three kind words,
thank you, ma'am,
and if you please."
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Great thread!

In hotels, I give points for:

- Cleanliness (well, who doesn't?)
- Comfy bed a must, with nice pillows, or plenty of extra pillows!
- A shower that has enough pressure to to really be able to take a shower.
- Plenty of towels and make 'em big!
- I like the extra touch of free bottled water - lots of points for that!
- Things that actually work, ie. hairdryers, toilets, etc, and maintenence that responds promptly when things don't.

In restaurants:

- Cleanliness
- Clean, clean, clean bathrooms!
- The server taking time to go through the specials so I actually know what they are. Many times they rattle them off and I can't make out what they are even saying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -