Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you're an art lover and in New York, the Matisse/Picasso exhibit is a must-see!

Search

If you're an art lover and in New York, the Matisse/Picasso exhibit is a must-see!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We experienced the Matisse/Picasso exhibit at MOMA Queens yesterday, and if you love art, then you must go! It more than lives up to its advance billing.
It's pricey ($20 regular admission, $15.50 for students and seniors). We thought it was worth it for what is probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Definitely get tickets in advance (www.moma.org).
It's easy to get there by subway. Take the 7 local to 33rd Street, Queens (four or five stops from Grand Central). The museum is a very short walk from the station.
Exhibit hours: Monday, Thursday and Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Last ticket entry is an hour before closing. The museum is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
It takes about 80-90 minutes to view the exhibit. Definitely rent the audio tour.
Note that on three Mondays--March 24, April 21 and May 12--the museum will remain open late, with a pay-what-you-wish fee from 4-7:45 p.m. on a first come, first served basis.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 07:18 AM

Thank you, Howard. I would like to see more posts like this on all the forums. Many of us forget check the local tourist or newspaper websites for temporary attractions in the places we visit. Only by chance do we sometimes become of aware of these special activities. (For example, we were able to tour the Buckingham Palace state rooms when they were opened to the public in August and September in the '90's.) Fellow travelers, keep us informed!
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 07:40 AM

The 7 train from midtown to MoMA is very fast, around 15 minutes. Also, If you're going to MoMA Queens on the weekend, you can take a special shuttle called the Artlink bus from the midtown MoMA building to MoMA Queens, P.S. 1 (a contemporary art museum) and other Queens cultural sites:

"This shuttle service operates Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Catch the bus on West 53 St. (between Fifth and Sixth Aves.) in Manhattan to MoMA QNS. Another bus travels from MoMA QNS to P.S.1 and other Queens cultural destinations. For further information call (212) 708-9750 or visit www.queensartlink.org."

There was recently an article in New York magazine detailing both the other museums and galleries in the area, if you want to make a day of it (some are letting people in with their MoMA tickets) and restaurants nearby.

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/...38//index.html
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:43 AM

My husband and I just purchased tickets for this Friday afternoon. Any suggestions for good value lunch fare near the museum? We are staying on the UWS with friends. What is the best way to get there by subway from Central Park West? Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:54 PM

Thanks Howard! I was wondering how this was, my husband ripped out the big one page ad from the NY Times last week and it's been on my counter, staring at me everyday. We're going to take the kids this weekend or the following, glad you think highly of it!

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

One additional bit of advice: Allow yourselves at least 90 minutes to get the most out of the exhibit. Thus, make sure you get tickets that admit you at least 90 minutes before closing time.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:34 PM

Does anyone happen to know if this show is going to be travelling to any other museums after NY, and if so, where?
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, artlover, but I believe that MOMA is the last stop. It was previously in London and Paris.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:57 PM

How long will the Matisse/Picasso exhibit be on display at MoMA? Into the summer (when I have a chance to go)?
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:58 PM

Truly a great show. I had missed it in both Paris and London so I was determined to see it here. The #7 wasn't running last weekend (don't know if this was a one-time thing) so we had to take the R train to Queensborough Plaza, then take the #7 from there.

There aren't a whole lot of restaurants in the area, but on a previous visit to MOMA-QNS I went to Hemsin, at 39-17 Queens Boulevard, and found it pretty good and very reasonable.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, designmr, but the exhibit ends on May 19.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:56 PM

Judy, on friday it shoudn't be any problems with the 7 train. From the UWS, take 1 or 9 (2 and 3) to Grand Central 42nd St., one flight of stairs down and take the 7 LOCAL.
Like Ken said, there are no restaurants in the area but if you're willing to travel 1-2 train stops further there are many choices. Let me know what your likes are.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:38 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Luli, my husband and I would welcome a nice salad, hot soup and/or sandwich, or light entrée. We like everything so long as it is fresh and of high quality. An alternative to dining in Queens would be to pick up something beforehand. If anyone has any suggestions for a fair price meal in a nice place, we're pretty flexible. Thanks again.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the subway advice.

We have tickets for next month and were wondering how we would get there.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Sunnyside has plenty of ethnic places - the diners (where you'd find a sandwich salad type of meal) in the area I would not recommend. IMO, look for a place on the UWS to have lunch before heading to MoMA. Maybe Zabar's?
This being said, there's New York Eats at 45th st. and Queens Blvd. that is not too bad, they have the regular diner fare. There's The Chipper, newly opened fish and chips place at 43rd (or is it 44th?) and Q Blvd.
And I mentioned before to another poster my favourite bakery in the nabe, European Bakery at 40th st. and Greenpoint Ave. (2 short blocks from Q Blvd.) - amazing european pastries and cakes, fresh and absolutely delicious.