If you had a choice...

Search

If you had a choice...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you had a choice...

Which 2 islands in Hawaii would you spend a 10 day vacation on?

(Going in October)

Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:26 AM

That time of year I would not risk rain on Kauai.

For ten days I would take them all on Maui or the big island. One or the other not both. Transferring to another island will cost you two hours of travel coming and going, 4 total. Unless Maui has direct flights. Just a bit of rushing around for the end of your trip. Check out times on Aloha Air and Hawaiian Air, I could be wrong. Just helped my sister on this same question this morning for Kauai. She has 15 days and still elected to stay put given the travel schedule and that her trip begins and ends in Kauai for mainland travel.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:34 AM

I would split the 10 days between 2 islands. Which ones would depend what I wanted to see and do.

I would probably split it between Oahu and the Big Island.

Maui is nice but I've been before.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:42 AM

I have no idea what Sarah is saying. 4 days to travel between 2 islands? Flight attendents barely have time to pass out bottles of juice and water before it's time to land.

I had an unexpected 48 hours (hard to explain) and left after a week on the BI for a short jaunt to Kauia and then was back to spend 4 more days on the BI (for an award trip).

At MOST, you will spend 4 hours traveling from hotel on Island 1 to hotel on Island 2.

The longest part of the Kauia jaunt was waiting in line for the rental car. I went with the cheapest rate rather than my usual company.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:28 AM

what don't you understand starsville?

Look at the flight schedules when you are traveling from an outer island island. An Oahu stop would spare an hour but outerisland? You don't have any non-stop flights to the big island from Kauai. That is two hours coming and two hours going. Not factoring in suggested check in advance of schedule, travel to and from the airport. Driving around & orienting yourself on a place like the big island. Easy island to spend too much time in the car if you don't plan. And yeah like you said waiting on line at the car rental station. Its all time out of your stay. Just not what everyone wants when they are on such a short stay but hey everyone is different. Stars is a hopper

I also have to get on an east coast flight on my return so that adds to my decison to spend less time on interisland flights. I have been back probably 5-6 times in 7 years and I still have not been back to Maui because I am not a hopper LOL.

This July we have 24 days and I am only doing 3 islands, still missing Maui,

I hate doing that but I have also run people ragged when I was too enthusiastic to show them as much as I could.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:01 AM

starrsville - I think Sarah meant 4 hours, not 4 days.

But I agree with you, I would go to 2 islands, but not more. As far as which islands...it depends on what sara_p likes to do. If she likes night life and abundance of activity, then 4-5 nights on Oahu. If she wants some activity and some relaxation, then 4-5 on Maui. If she wants total relaxation then 4-5 on Kauai. I'm not a fan of the Big Island, but if she wants to see the volcano...she should go there.

But I would check with the hotels to find out which ones give a free night for 4-5 night stays so she can save some money.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Been to Kauai 4 times in October....a total of 33 days. Had bad rain only one day...yes...one day!!

Of course, we had the ocassional thunderstorm, showers, etc. Didn't bother us.

I would pick Kauai and Big Isalnd.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Thanks, K, you're right.

Sorry, Sarah. My foggy brain read days, not hours. I'm home sick...and evidently I'm sicker than I thought. I'm not going to feel guilty about the stacked paperwork waiting for me. If I did my work with the same level of quality control, I'd be in real trouble!

I'm not a hopper, Sarah. I had a vacation planned and spent a few days in Oahu and then a week on the Big Island. But, amazingly enough I also qualified for an award trip that started 2 days after my "vacation" ended. With that expected treat waiting for me I decided to spend the intervening 48 hours on Kauai.

If that qualifies me as a "hopper" I'll happily accept any day of the week!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:21 AM

just kidding with the hopper comments. Makes me think of "hair spray" movie where the lead is charged with being a "hair hopper" LOL because she changes styles so often.

Everyone is different with what they enjoy. And like I said I am coming from the east coast so I have a 10 hour plane home if I am lucky enough to catch the direct on Continental.

Sorry you are home sick starrs but it is what leads you home again* so think of that.

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:24 AM

PS people that don't go home sick rarely go home
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:45 AM

I'd say Oahu and the Big Island. That way you get to see: live volcano, green & black sand beaches, breathtaking waterfalls, turtles galore, 13,000 foot dormant volcanos, isolated valleys, Hawaiian history luxurious resort and great food (BI), and shopping, American history, the North Shore, lively Waikiki, Diamon Head, the Byodo In Temple, the beautiful Windward Side and daily Hawaiian life on Oahu.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:48 AM

http://www.kauaidigital.com/ there are digital 3 d views of each island here

Click on virtual tours
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:53 AM

I'm going in January. Flying to and from Maui. I was hoping to do Kauai in there too...am I reading correctly that there is no direct flight between Maui and Kauai???
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 12:21 PM

cherie1 - Last I looked, all the non-stop flights from Kauai to Maui and vice versa had been discontinued. So you have to make connections in HNL...not necessarily getting off the plane, mind you, just stopping, more passengers getting on, and the plane departing again.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM

If I had a choice ...

I would come up with better titles for the new threads I created. You're fortunate, sara_P, that people have responded ... I've skipped it each time I've seen it today until now.

You probably click on "Hawaii" in the search box when you created this, but that's only to help index the thread. All we see is one big USA forum containing, with many others, one thread titled "If you had a choice..."

Please consider more descriptive titles in the future, sara_p ("Which 2 Hawaii Islands?") and welcome to Fodors.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Kauai and Maui or Big Island