Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If I'm not into museums/monuments... should I skip DC?

Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:19 PM
Terry

Hi,

I've never been to Washington DC, so I was thinking about visiting soon, but when I did research on what to do in DC, most advice seemed to be geared toward museums, monuments, etc. While I heard great things about them and will probably visit a couple, are there some other fun things a visitor can do in DC? Does DC have a beautiful waterfront? How are the dining and shopping choices in DC? Or should I skip DC altogether if I don't enjoy museums... Thanks...

Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:27 PM
georgetown grad

I despise museums and cathedrals too. However as a four year former DC resident, this city is a living monument to our forefounders and the monuments are just stunning in all lights of day and must be seen. I never went to a single museum in four years there! DC has a wide variety of very interesting ethnic restaurant, nightlife, etc. You can do day trips into Virginia, like Montecello, or even spend a night in Williamsburg. I enjoy just walking around DC, spotting all the famous faces at lunches and dinners, visiting the Capitol, the White House, calling on my senator, that kind of thing. I always stay at the Marriott in Arlington, which is a typical Marriott except with great views of my alma mater and the city. I think you gotta do it. It will touch you deeply.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:29 PM
Maxie

There's plenty of wonderful dining and terrific shopping. And, there's lots of beautiful waterfront, though at many of those "monuments". HOWEVER, you really should consider visiting all those museums and monuments - which are among the finest in the USA. Lots of history - you'll learn lots - and glorious architecture, not to mention magificent exhibits. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't jump at the chance to visit the "museums, monuments, etc", nearly all of which are free, but then, it all depends upon you idea of "fun". WHY are you "thinking" of visiting, if not for the purpose of enjoying our nation's capital and the history and magnificence it has to offer?

Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:08 PM
Mark

Why are you even thinking about DC? There are a multitude of dining and shopping destinations, if that's your "thing". Me, too, can't imagine why you wouldn't be interested in all the monuments, museums, and other historical sights.

If your priority is "fun", there are any number of web resources for achieving same.

Guessing you are a HUGE TROLL.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:17 PM
Margaret

What's your point? You can shop and dine anywhere. If you've no interest in monuments and/or museums, why bother with DC? Are you totally without a clue. (I'm guessing you are.)

Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:20 PM
Nancy

You'd be positively remiss not to visit as many "museums, monuments" as you can during your stay. Please explain "other fun".

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:08 AM
x

For nicer waterfronts I would head to annapolis or baltimore. Georgetown is a nice area to shop & eat. I think the FDR monument would at least be worth seeing & just walling the mall area.

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:24 AM
James

I'm going to assume that terry is not a troll. Usually trolls are far more offensive and controversial. So, here's my two cents.

The first time I visited DC, I wasn't too thrilled about museums and monuments either. However, when you realize that everything (or almost everything) is FREE, you don't feel bad about walking in, spending 30 mins to see the one thing that interests you and then walking out. Of course, once you're in, you see WAY more than you thought you would ever find interesting and I usually end up spending hours just wandering the museums. Hehe.

That having been said, there is a lot more to do in DC. There are many great neighborhoods that are fun to explore, with great restaurants, cafes, people-watching, and shopping.

Dupont Circle is my favorite. Lots of life, lots of people, lots of cafes, restaurants, etc. And the architecture is beautiful. A lot of people love walking around Georgetown. That's probably the DC "center" for shopping and nightlife. Again, beautiful architecture and so much to see.

Adams-Morgan is DC's "hip" neighborhood. A lot of 20/30-somethings, lots of cafes and bars and a ton of good cheap food.

Capitol Hill (to the east of the Capitol building) is a quieter neighborhood, with a lot of wonderful residential architecture. The Eastern Market is apparently wonderful to walk around. I've always managed to miss it, though

There are plenty of other towns surrounding DC that are easily accessible via the Metro (Bethesda, Alexandria, etc) that get a lot of attention and seem like they would be fun to walk around (Again, I have not visited these)

If you just want to shop, I hear Tyson Corner is a MASSIVE upscale mall. And there are Metro-accessible malls at Pentagon City and Chevy Chase (I believe.. Am I wrong?)

I think there is a lot that DC has to offer besides the monuments and museums, but I also think that a trip to DC without seeing at least some of these things might be a bit of a waste.

Oct 4th, 2002, 09:46 AM
DC for me

I went there with my husband a year ago for a wedding. We were there 5 days. I wasn't looking forward to it either as a destination, only the wedding. As it turned out, I wish we'd had more time. After the festivities, we did a little touring. The monuments were spectacular. Saw them on our own during the day, and did a night tour which was fantastic. I look forward to going back when we'll have more time. It truly is a beautiful city!