Ididaride in seward in summer

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ididaride in seward in summer

Has anyone every taken a tour with the Ididaride company in Seward? I am interested in knowing about their summer tour where the dogs pull you on the wheeled vehicle. Also is the tour itself worthwhile?
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 12:38 PM

I went on this tour a couple of years ago in May during our stay in Seward. Since it was not the busy season, our group of 3 were the only ones on the morning tour which made for a more personal experience.

I initally had some reservations about doing this, because I am a big animal lover and treat my own dog as a surrogate child. It was initally disturbing for me to see how the sled dogs are housed and how different they are in temperment from your pet dog, but overall I found the tour informative and gave me a different view of the sled dog world than all the negatives I had read about in the past.

The sled ride itself was on a wheeled vehicle on a rocky trail on the property... it goes faster than you would think and was on the bumpy side.

Unless you are a PETA type, I would say if you have the time, go on the tour, as it gives you another facet of the Alaska experience.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 12:44 PM

I would also add, that in Seward, my favorite sights were Exit Glacier and boat tour of Kenai Fjords.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 01:03 PM

jane
"Initially" you had reservations, being an animal lover and all, "initially" you had a problem with the way the dogs were housed. What exactly made you change your mind and think it was ok?
Just curious.
TC
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 05:30 PM

Didn't she kind of explaint that (without going into great detail)?
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:19 PM

Uh no, lenleigh,I don't think that is an explanation. That is why I asked the question.
"Tour information and how different the temperment of the dogs" is not really an explanation.
I am wondering what janeq saw that changed her mind.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 03:15 AM

Hope Jane responds but until then, go here for a description of an Iditarod Lead Dog
http://www.cabelasiditarod.com/2003/03_march_6_4.html
Huskies can be very shy but they are workers and athletes. It may seem strange to see dogs chained to single dog houses but they get plenty of exercise and careful training. Used to the average pet dog, it's amazing to see a team respond to verbal commands and work in unison. These dogs get plenty of fresh air and exercise with others of their kind. I don't think any of them would care to lead the solitary existence of an overfed, pampered pet home alone for hours on end.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Hi
While I have one of those pampered (but not overfed) Pups here at home, I both admire the dogs in the Iditerode and feel sorry for them.
My dog is considered a hunting/sports dog. But in his life, squirrels and pigeons are his quarry. Needless to say, being pampered and spoiled by loving owners, he really doesn't seem to have any chance for catching anything. Not unless a squirrel dies of old age, while the Pup is chasing him.
But I too, am curious about what this person saw made her not disturbed over the treatment of the dogs.
One cannot really know if the dogs are really enjoying themselves or not, it is all they know. And reading literature put out by the same people that give these tours is a little one sided a view to me.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:26 AM
cd

We took a dog sled ride on wheels in Seward and it convinced me the dogs love what they do. We waited while dogs were chosen and hooked up to our "sled" . There were many, many, dogs for the owner to choose from and it seemed to us that they all wanted to be picked. It was hard to hold them still while the sled was being prepared. They love run. We enjoyed it but it was not a smooth ride.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:56 AM

We took a dog sled ride on a glacier by Seward and -- while I don't read doggie minds -- the dogs seemed to absolutely LOVE pulling the sled. The moment the guide took out a leash, indicating that he was going to choose his team, all the dogs went absolutely bonkers trying to get his attention because they wanted to go out. It was quite a sight. While I was only with them for an hour or so, it didn't appear to me that they were mistreated at all.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Too much Disney, not enough reality.

Sled dogs are not tortured into service. They are chosen for duty baed on their aptitude and desire to run.

And, no one will ever be able to convince me that a fat, lazy, moping around the house mongrel is any better off than the average Alaskan sled dog.

These animals consume massive quantities of high protien calories 2 and 3 times a day. Not from your bag of Alpo either. Their meals are prepared for them..... cooked fish and meats, vitamins, and protien supplements.

They see the vet at every insignificant malady as their health is the primary concern of the musher. As well it should be. Good dogs cost several thousands of dollars.

In the yard they are often chained to their little shack. But, the alternative of letting 15, 20, 30, or more dogs run loose to fight with eachother hardly seems compassionate.

Any of the regular kennels have handlers, and yard cleaners assuring that these animals are tended to in nearly every way.

And, most importantly, when they are in the harness, they are happy! They "sproing" and chatter away at the opportunity to be on the trail. Heck, they even look like they're smiling.

I don't even like dog mushing! It bores me stupid. But, I know it doesn't bore the dogs. Nor is it a burden to them. They love it!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:21 PM

akvisnet: I agree. You take those Alaska sled dogs & stick them in somebody's apartment or home in the suburbs or city then give them an occasional walk & some lazy pampering they will go bonkers with boredom. People should see the entire picture of a situation before they draw such drastic conclusions about circumstances they know nothing about.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 10:47 PM

Excellent replies! Having two labs, one of which has his mind on his toys at all times, I can understand how the dogs would want to go on a run. Many dogs have historical backgrounds to be highly trained in different "jobs". Doesn't mean many of them don't enjoy what they are trained to do. As long as they are fed right and not abused I don't see the problem.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I appreciate all the conversation , but other than janeq, does anyone else have experience with this particular tour?
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:39 PM

TO TC: By "initally" I meant that my initial gut reaction to seeing the dogs chained to their little area was (for lack of a better word at this time) disheartening, I am not used to being around working dogs, but I feel I had an open enough mind to learn more about these dogs, and even read some articles upon return home, that I do not now feel that sled dog racing is the totally inhuman sport that I had read articles on in the past.

Didn't think I'd open such a can of worms!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:44 PM

And also reading some of the other posts, I will also add that they did explain how these dogs are bred for racing, that is what is in their "genes" so to speak, and as some of the others mentioned, they would probably not adapt as well to our normal dogs' life, but may instead be destructive. Also, in the race, the dogs are checked by vets along the way.
OK, enough on this subject for me.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Seward also has Godwin Glacier dodsledding tours, which take you via helicopter to the top of a glacier for dogsledding. The view from the helicopter and the sledding (which they let you drive if you want) were unforgettable. Yes, it was more pricey that the Ididaride, but the Toursaver has 2-4-1.

...and the dogs up there were thrilled and didn't seem to be begging to go home with anyone!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We took the Ididaride with the Seavey family in the summer of 2000. It was alot of fun, especially for our 7 year old daughter. An it was an education for us to learn how the dogs are bred and chosen for mushing. When you walk up to the area you can smell the dogs and hear them. They are VERY excited because they see the sled. After the ride, we got to see and hold the puppies and learned more about mushing. The Seavey family is into their 3rd generation of racers, plus doing this summer sledding for tourists helps support them.

These are working dogs, not pets. I grew up with border collies for sheepherding, so can appreciate the Seavey's trying to also educate us.