Ideas on where to go when based in San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I,m coming over from the UK in mid June as part of a small UK military diving team. Before we start work we’ve got some down time in San Diego. A few of us want to get out and about and see a bit of your great country instead of just the local bars.
We will probably have about 4-6 days; I was thinking of hiring a car and heading towards Yosemite National Park?
it would be great to make this into a round trip taking in as much as possible on route and return.
could anyone please recommend places to visit, to stay and to eat while out?
i realise 4-6 days isn’t very long to see a country which is just a little bigger than my own😁
Any help / ideas is greatly apreciated.
thanks for reading.
Old May 17th, 2018, 06:34 AM

Are you going to be stationed in San Diego?
Yosemite is about a days ride from San Diego (one way) and Yosemite is extremely crowded in the summer. The hotels inside the park boundaries are booked a year in advance but you can stay outside the park in hotels if you want to drive 25-35 miles from your hotel into the park during the day. I personally would not recommend it this late.

I am confused - do you want advice on what to do and see in San Diego? Or do you want to spend 4-6 days driving around the state.
Los Angeles is a 2-3 hour drive, San Francisco is a 6+ hour drive, Northern California which includes the wine country (Napa, Sonoma) is even further so driving would take up most of your vacation time. Although a road trip up the coast from San Diego to L.A. to Santa Barbara to Monterrey, San Francisco and back would easily be a fun trip with a friend to share the driving.
Old May 17th, 2018, 06:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have to show up in San Diego first? It is easier to get to Yosemite from either San Francisco or Los Angeles. You should be able to rent (hire) a car one way without a drop charge.
It is possible to get to Yosemite using public transportation (Amtrak bus & train and the YARTS bus into the park from either Fresno or Merced).
The Amtrak bus is from Los Angeles Union Station to Bakersfield connecting to a San Joaquin train north.
The US National Park closer to San Diego is Joshua Tree.
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:17 AM

>>i realise 4-6 days isn’t very long to see a country which is just a little bigger than my own>>

We like to think our ourselves here in CAlifornia as a separate country but we are still part of the US and still just one of 50 states.

tom's advice to fly into San Francisco and they rent a car to see Yosemite might work for you too.
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We will probably have about 4-6 days; I was thinking of hiring a car and heading towards Yosemite National Park?
it would be great to make this into a round trip taking in as much as possible on route and return.
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:29 AM

Where are you going to be stationed while in San Diego? And how long do you plan to be here for?
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:14 AM

nanabee asks an interesting question. Will the OP be at the Navy SEAL training facility in Coronado? Or maybe up in Oceanside? Or maybe at a US Marines facility in San Diego proper? Any of those options will give you a lot to do besides pub crawls, OP. You could spend your entire visit never going anywhere north of the San Diego/Orange County border and not exhaust all the wonderful stuff in the area. Another hour north gets you into the greater LA/Orange county metro areas, which is quite overwhelming in possibilities. And don't forget the desert-- Palm Springs is a fun little town.

I'd forget about trying to get to Yosemite at this late date. I'd concentrate on exploring the southern part of this state in what downtime you have. The incredibly varied topography, the vast cultural riches, the only-in-California experiences.... You'll fall in love with this state, which by itself is quite a bit larger than the UK (let alone the whole of the US).

If you can swing the expense and fly up to San Francisco for a weekend, it's well worth it, even for a tiny taste of that unique city. However, I'm willing to bet that you will be back to California, and you should plan a future trip to SF and points north. Then you can plan another trip to the beautiful Central Coast, also full of one-of-a-kind treasures. Oh, and wine. GREAT wine. There's great wine all up and down this state. Great craft beer too.

Oh wonderful. Now I'm thirsty...!!
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:45 AM

Go to Sequoia/Kings Canyon instead of Yosemite, it won't be as crowded and is a couple hours closer to San Diego. Combine that with a drive up or down the coast and you'll find plenty to fill 4-6 days. I can't imagine staying in San Diego since you'll presumably have time to see the city during the rest of your visit.
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

First of all a big thanks for all your great reply’s, cheers!
Well it looks like I’m trying to bite off more than I can chew by going to Yosemite NP.
Just to answer a few questions, we will be staying on the Marine facility which I believe is pretty central. We will be in SD for 10 days at first but we will have some work to do,, I’m planning on getting 4-6 days off. The bloody RAF have got to get us there first����

I’ve got a car hired so will probably drive up the coast and see how far we get, and kings canyon sounds like a plan. As you’ve all said there’s loads to do so I’ll get planning and do it����

Once again thankyou very much for the advice replies.
All the best.
John
Old May 20th, 2018, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

First of all many thanks for all your reply’s and advice.
I will be staying on the Marine complex for about ten day before heading off for a while, I believe it’s pretty central to town?
Regarding visiting Yosemite NP it looks like I’ve bitten off more than I can chew so I’ll take advice and head up the coast enjoying the drive.
I can’t realy afford any flights so I’ll hire a car and see how far I get��
Once again thanks for all the kind informative replies.

PS I did reply days ago but for some reason it never posted??
Old May 20th, 2018, 09:02 AM

There are two Marine bases in San DIego. One is the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD). It is across the road so to speak from the international airport and is centrally located near downtown.

The other is called Miramar Airstation and is about 30 min by car North of downtown.
Old May 20th, 2018, 09:35 AM

As Nanbee says -- which Marine facility? Makes a big difference.

>>I can’t realy afford any flights so I’ll hire a car and see how far I get
Old May 20th, 2018, 07:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
San Diego has a lot to offer. Enjoy your time tnere.
Old May 21st, 2018, 05:11 AM

I would also consider going with a buddy who might be interested in such a trip and you can split the rental car cost.
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It will almost certainly be Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, 20 minutes from downtown.

IMO, if you want to see Yosemite, which is very well worth the effort, you should go for it. You'll have to accept that it's a long drive, but if several of you go perhaps you can split the driving. Go to Yosemite the "boring" way via Fresno. Start checking online now for accommodation cancellations in the Park. It gets booked up a year ahead and there are always cancellations. Also check the Yosemite View in El Portal. It will be less expensive and is only ten minutes from the gate followed by a fairly short drive to the Valley. When you return to San Diego, leave via the high Tioga Road (which opens today), then south on Highway 395. This is an interesting drive if you check to see what there is to see before you go. You may want to take a day to get to Bishop, overnight there, then drive to SD the next day.
Old May 21st, 2018, 02:46 PM

If you are part of a diving team generally the Navy Base called the Amphibious Base south of the city of Coronado on the Silver Strand is involved in most operation dealing with diving such as the Navy Seals. Because the Marines are part of the Navy sometimes they live can on the Marine Base at MCRD.

The base in Miramar is an air station but they might do operations with diving teams out of Camp Pendleton which is on the ocean too.

I am obviously guessing at this point and it would be nice to know if we can help you with referrals for restaurants and stuff to do locally in San Diego.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 02:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
San Diego is very close to the border of Mexico.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:30 PM

I agree with Barbara. Make some calls and see if you can get a hotel room in Yosemite, or hopefully El Portal. Even if you can't get an ideal property, I'd still do it. A ticket from England is expensive. Who knows when you'll make it back?

To look for non-official park properties, remember you can always select the map view on Travelocity or other booking sites. You will want to call the park for cancellations. And check more than one search engine. But I did a quick search.

Right now for June 14-16, there are three rooms on Travelocity at White Chief Mountain Lodge in Fish Camp. They are cancellable until June 12. Place looks kinda rustic but if you're in the military I suspect you'll deal with it better than most of us would. So the great thing about it being cancellable, is that you can keep calling the park to see if something you like opens up. And if not, you've still got a place.

The Fish Camp location is not ideal compared to El Portal. Others can tell you how long your drive from Fish Camp to Yosemite Valley will actually take. If you could leave by 6 am to visit the park for the day, you'll enjoy seeing it before it is swarmed. Also, if you wait later in the morning, the roads get really backed up. No fun.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 04:24 PM

Have a look at the website for the inpark lodging (you can try Half Dome Village, the tent cabins for example). You can also look for lodging in Oakhurst which is about 7-8 hours drive from San Diego.I would attempt to get into Yosemite very early (like leave Oakhurst when it's stil dark). Note that at present both the Glacier Point and Tioga Pass Roads are open. If it stays that way, go in very early from Oakhurst,heas up to Glacier Point (like try to get into the park before daylight, than drive right through and out the Tioga Pass). Expect 2-3 hour traffic jams if you try to go on the weekend. Try to go as early in June as possible. It just gets worse and worse as summer progresses.

Another place to see giant Sequoia trees is in the Southern Sierra, eg Trail of 100 Giants which is about 6 hours from San Diego

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequ...a/?recid=79825

Lakeview Motel is a quaint old-school motel on the south side of Lake Isabella. Up in Kernville is more lodging and better places to eat and drink.

I'm kind of shocked but Lakeview is apparently now on booking.com.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:33 PM

>>Right now for June 14-16, there are three rooms on Travelocity at White Chief Mountain Lodge in Fish Camp. >You can also look for lodging in Oakhurst which is about 7-8 hours drive from San Diego.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -