Reload this Page >

ideas in boston area for teen birthday dinner

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Penny

My daughter, soon to be 15, would like to go out to dinner in Boston or Cambridge or another nearby area with several friends. Alone, no parents. We live outside Boston, but I'm stumped when I try to think of a good place. It would be a Friday night, so we don't want to consider Friday's in town. No Hard Rock Cafe--it's not new enough for us.

We'd like to find a place where she and her friends can eat, but we and our son can eat nearby. I was thinking about the North End but don't know the restaurants well enough. We want it to be a nice dinner, but we don't want to break the bank. Their eating tastes aren't that discriminating yet! And I want to stay away from known weekend bar scenes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:03 AM
betsy

In Cambridge, how about Fire & Ice or Borders??? Fire & Ice would be fun-it's a smorgasboard of food-you pick and choose from a huge "food bar", bring it up to a huge grill in teh middle of the restaraunt where you watch your food being cooked. It's fun, and if I remember correctly it's a fixed price (around $15?) and it's all you can eat. Borders is a fun Mexican restaraunt. Both are in Harvard Sq. If the Back Bay is more convenient for you, there is also a Fire & Ice there, located on Berkeley St a block or so south of Boylston. Hope this helps!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Ann

There's a place in Harvard Sq. that might be fun for them (and you). I haven't been there myself, but I've been to similar places in other cities. It's called Fire and ice, and the concept is that you choose your ingredients buffet style, then take them to a cooking station where the chefs stir-fry what you have chosen into your dinner!

Another fun place is Bertucci's, but that may be too common for them. Great pizza and other dishes, all over the Boston area.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:53 AM
ellie

How about either Paparazzi or the Cheesecake Factory at the Cambridgeside Galleria Mall?

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Boss Tonn

I completely agree with the Fire & Ice suggestion. I have never been there, and am personally turned off by the concept of choosing my own raw food and getting up from my table to watch them cook it. So you know what that means--it's a PERFECT idea for teenagers!!!

And not to nitpick about the "Borders" suggestion earlier, but I think the poster is referring to "The Border Cafe" in Harvard Square, which is a fun Mexican place that I highly recommend. "Borders" is a book store chain. I'm not trying to be picky, just want to help out in case you are asking someone for directions or looking up phone numbers.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 09:53 AM
sandra

I have been to Fire & Ice, Paparazzi,and the Cheescake Factory. The best food and most extensive menu was at the Cheescake Factory. Not only does the menu read like a book, it must be about 20 pages of every type of food imaginable. See for yourself at www.thecheesecakefactory.com

Since it is a birthday celebration, the selection of desserts is bound to please everyone. Another important factor, location. Parking in Harvard Sq. is next to impossible. The Cambridgside Galleria has an attached garage with plenty of parking. You could shop the mall and have an inside meeting place for a few hours later. Or walk over to Museum of Science, catch a show at the Planetarium or Omnimax theater.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 10:00 AM
xxx

Keep in mind that the cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory can set you back around $6 a slice so that alone could add up quickly with a group of teenagers.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Nano

My favorite in Cambridge is Elephant Walk, on Mass Ave. near Porter Square. It's a lot of fun, a mix of Thai and French, but with tons of choices for all ages. It's a safe place, not a big fast bar scene. You could easily go along and sit fairly far away from your daughter and her friends or you could go to one of the many other restaurants along Mass. Ave.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Donna

Here's another recommendation for Fire & Ice. We love that place! With hungry teens, unlimited salad and seconds included is a big plus.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Penny

thanks, everyone, for your comments.

We like the idea of Fire & Ice. It turns out there's another one, in Back Bay, so we have our choice. They also take reservations, and the price is right, at about $13 prix fixe.

I know parking is tough in Harvard Square--I used to live and work in Cambridge. We'd probably take the T, whether we go to Berkeley St. or to Harvard Square. (And, oddly enough, my daughter doesn't want to go to a mall. Will wonders never cease?)

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 10:23 AM
pam

I took my daughter and a group of her friends last year to Marche at the Pru Center. The marketplace atmoshere is perfect for groups. They got to go at their own pace and were happy to be able to pick and choose from their larger variety of foods. This year we are taking my daughter and her friends to "Joey & Maria's Wedding", a dinner and interactive show. The girls are so excited, I hope it goes well!