ideas for us trip summer 2006

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of visiting the US next summer (family with 2 boys 10 and 8). We've done Disney, New England and San Diego so we're looking for other areas to explore. We like walking,nature & outdoors stuff. We're thinking of planning a 4 week trip and don't mind driving around. At the moment we're contemplating the Yellowstone area, what is it like in August?? The accommodation prices seem pretty pricey from the quick look I've had. Ideally we like to stay in self-catering cabins or lodges but are open to ideas to keep the costs down. Our other consideration is to fly to Seattle and drive into Canada and explore the Rockies. Will the mosquitos be a real problem in August? If anyone has any offers that would be fantastic, especially for any reasonably priced accommodation.
Thanks to you all!
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:41 AM

Dizzyb, both of your areas under consideration are great. May I add a stop at Signal Mountain Lodge in the Grand Teton National Park to the possibles? If you were considering a fall trip I would also suggest Zion and Bryce National Parks.
August is a peak travel time, rates are highest, crowds are largest, days are longest.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:47 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
With 4 weeks you could do both - fly to Seattle, explore Oregon/Washington/BC, then go east to the Canadian Rockies, then south to Glacier and Yellowstone parks, then end in Portland or Seattle - a big loop. In driving terms, the distances, while large, are not that big an obstacle - you're seldom more than a day's drive (maybe a long day) between main destination areas, such as Vancouver to Banff, Banff to Glacier, Glacier to Yellowstone. Yellowstone to Portland or Seattle is a very long day, or two easy ones. I've done it in one day a couple of times. Not arduous, you just arrive bum-sprung.

The point being, with a month the distances are easily handled, and the variety of landscapes and experiences for you and your boys is nearly unique.

Costs for accommodation within US national parks is high, and you're in peak season. In the US there are usually peripheral towns (West Yellowstone, for instance) where lodging is cheaper than that offered by concessionaires inside the park boundary.

In Canada, Banff and Jasper offer a wide range of accommodation, so more variety in pricing.

Mosquitos are generally not a big problem by August (there may be a few but repellant works well.) It may be different near lakes and ponds, the usual.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the speedy replies, I like the idea of combining both areas and the boys are good in the car as long as we have frequent stops. Any more offers from anyone?? Thanks
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

We did the following tour in 2000.
-Arrive in S. francisco
-drive northonoma valley...to Eureka
- Eureka-Coos bay
- Coos bay-Kelso
-Kelso-Mount Rainier- Seattle(2 days)
- Seattle-Vancouver(2 days)
- Vancouver-Clearwater
- Clearwater- Jasper(2days)
- Jasper-(Columbia icefields)-Banff(2 days)
- Banff-Waterton lakes
-Waterton lakes- Glacier N. Park-Kalispell
-- Kalispell -Helena
-Helena- Gardiner(entrance Yellowstone park)(2 ays)
- Gardiner- Jackson(G. Teton nat pârk)
- Jackson - Salt lake city
- S. L.City - Kelso
- Kelso - Lake Tahoe(2 days)
- L. Tahoe - over Tioga pass to Yosemite(2 days)
- Yosemite- S. francisco(2 days)
- S. francisco plane home to Belgium.
This was about 7000 kilometers or 11200 miles. We always travel in September-October and it's wonderful but we're retired.I'm afraid that in August everything will be very crowded. Hope this has been of any help.Paul
-
-
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:28 AM

I think Yellowstone would be a fantastic choice! I think mosquito season may be over by August, too!