Ideas for Non-Resort Vacation in Hawaii with a One-Year-Old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to take our 1-year-old on a week-long vacation in March and need help choosing a destination.

We are independent travelers and have spent most of our vacations in Europe, where we love wandering, eating and soaking up the atmosphere.

We think Europe in March will be too cold for a one-year old who’ll want to play outside, and so are looking for a warm weather vacation, and thought of Hawaii.

We’re not resort folks, though. While we like swimming and beaches, we’re looking for a place that’s “real”, where we can go for walks, eat in cafes and nature, and generally just enjoy being. (I should also mention that we’re not really 5-star hotel people. We’re Rick Steves' “travel through the back door” folks.)

With all of that: Where should we go? Thank you!
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 07:17 AM

Hawaii has a huge mix of accomodations and sites.

I don't know what the "real" Hawaii is to you but I don't think you would really like it. What you are describing essentially describes major tourism centers like Waikiki, Kaanapali/Lahaina, or Kailua-Kona.

I suggest you get ahold of a guidebook and start reading about the different islands. Fodors makes a guidebook. Another good one is Hawaii for Dummies (honestly, it's a good guide for first-time visitors). Being able to quote an accomodation budge also allows posters to give you more specific advice.

For example, Kona Village Resort on The Big Island of Hawaii is a lovely place, but the $500+ night charge might not suit you.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:51 AM

You could go to Maui, get an inexpensive (~$100)condo across from the Kamaole Beach Parks (plenty gentle enough for water fun with a 1 yr old); there are many options (here's one I saw on VRBO, but there are plenty in the area):
http://www.vrbo.com/3804
Day trips (Haleakala, Hana)or visits to other beaches are very easy from this location, and there are many restaurants, a few supermarkets, and lots of shopping.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the ideas.

Our interest in avoiding 5-star places is not about budget, more about wanting to find a place that feels intimate and personal, run by a person vs. a big company. Basically, we like charm over amenities.

Are there places we could stay that would feel like a charming small town vs. city or resort? That's really where our hearts lie.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 06:32 PM

Hanalei -- on Kauai?
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM

Look on VRBO for a house or condo. There are TONS of them! You might find that a smaller town atmosphere, for example, just outside Hilo on the Big Island, would suit you. But that is the rainy side, although it stays warm even in the rain, and the rain comes in showers most of the time, not steady downpours. You could also look at Hawi, which is at the northern tip of the island.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 06:58 AM

But "playing outside" opportunities for a 1 yr old are very limited in Hawi and Hilo. (No gentle sunny beaches, except for the protected little inlet of water made by a jetty in a nice little park near Hawi; that might be fine for a toddler, and the crashing surf for the parents would be scenic).
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 08:32 AM

I agree. Hawi and Hilo are not ideal places. Hawi is windy and has no beaches. Did I say it was windy? Hilo has some rocky lava places, but is low on beaches and tends to be rainy. Did I say Hawi was windy?
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM

From my limited experience

we are talking about a 1 year old. A 1 year old does not require that much more then a fridge/microwave and some loving attention and lots of diapers which should not be worn in public pools.

If you don't need to walk the beach at sunrise, Hawi is a wonderful base on the Big Island with a really lovely community filled with aloha - if your baby is good with napping in the car for adventures. Puako would also be a nice choice and closer to the beaches.

If you do require a morning walk on the beach , Hanalei in Kauai is perfect.

Napili on Maui is a wonderful area, but not really a walking to town type place, but a nice more laid back area to the grand resorts.

Hana is heavenly and very much secluded. But there is a lovely sense of community if all you require is nature and passing day trippers.

vrbo.com is a great place to start.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 01:17 PM

Regarding the morning walks on the beach...your one year old will be up early! in the morning if you're coming from the mainland. They don't really adjust well to the time change, so it is nice to have a beach to walk along early in the morning. I remember our 4 year old daughter up and hanging out on the balcony of our condo at 4:30 am in Maui.

I agree with Kealalani, vrbo is a great place to start.

I've been to the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai. I like how un-touristy the Big Island can be. Same goes for the North Shore of Kauai. But Maui was the easiest place to bring a kid. It was easier to get to a great beach without spending time in the car; we stayed in a condo in Kaanapali. When we were on the Big Island, we had to drive a lot to get to a good beach for boogie boarding and then another beach for snorkeling. This was fine for me and my husband; it would be less fun with a kiddo in a carseat in the backseat.

We also rented a cottage in Hanalei in Kauai, and I think that could be a great place to bring a little one. But I would look at when you're planning on traveling so that you get some good weather. We went last May, and we just happened to hit a week of bad weather...rain all over the island. A couple days it was too rainy and windy and cold to go in the water.

Maui was really easy with a child. I think Hanalei on Kauai is amazing, but you can end up with poor weather. The Big Island is my favorite, but you could end up driving a lot more than you want to with a toddler.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 01:51 PM

http://www.innwaimea.com/cottage.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ai_Hawaii.html

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...oc:705215.html
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 04:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Waikiki but it is in a city, but on the beautiful island of Oahu. There are independent places owned by people not big corporations. Look at this one for an example what I'm talking about: www.royalgrovehotel.com The Bus (public transportation) system is excellent so it's the only island you really don't need to rent a car. I also like Waikiki Sand Villa, it's a budget hotel popular with Japanese tourists as well as people I met from the UK, all around the U.S. etc. It's a deal at well under $100/night.

"real Hawaii" can be kind of a rough place, I'm not certain that's what you really mean. Sure there are plenty of smaller towns or residential areas but that are not exactly where a tourist would want to stay or would be exactly welcomed.

I think Lahaina on Maui is another nice place if you want some ammenities provided by being near a town/city... the cafes, a few shops, art galleries, theater, like that. I stayed at a condo building there called Lahaina Shores that I enjoyed.

I have never in my life stayed at a "resort" and don't intend to. But I travel solo and don't like to be too isolated, therefore my choice most often of being right in Waikiki/Honolulu. Above I've described what I've found to love in Hawaii, but I am thinking for what you describe you need to find a rental cottage thru VRBO, get a rental car, and stay on either Kauai or Maui.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 04:18 PM

Well, I mentioned Hilo and Hawi because the OP said beaches were not as important for them, but going for walks and being in a nice small town atmosphere were important. So I still say those two towns would be good. I applaud their thinking that a resort is not a requirement for a real Hawaiian experience.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 04:49 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
On our first/only trip to Hawaii, we rented a house through VRBO at Lanikai on Oahu. It's a residential vice tourist town and is pretty laid-back and low key. Our house was one back from the beautiful beach. I think a house rental would be really nice.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 04:57 PM

To me Lahaina is the opposite of what green giant is looking for. I can only tolerate an afternoon walk and an evening dinner and I am done with that town. But that's just me.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of the ideas. I was really overwhelmed at researching Hawaii, and now you've given us some good places to start looking into further. I'm going to do some research and will no doubt have some more questions.

Thank you!