Ideas for mom with 3 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need trip ideas for the April-May window. My husband is gone for a year to Iraq, so this is my first journey as a single parent. We live close to BWI, so low-fare flight options abound. I was researching Sanibel, but this is the high season there, and the lodging seems pricey right now.

The only idea I'd rule out is Charleston, SC- its an awesome place, but my in-laws live there and we visit twice a year already. Thanks for your input!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:23 PM

What a wonderful opportunity to make memories with your child!

What's your budget, what are your interests, and how long do you want to be away?

Lee Ann
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking about a 4 or 5 day trip. Budget? under a thousand for the trip. Interests? I'm open for anything, except a tour of Civil War battlefields
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:13 PM

no idea on the price, but how about a club med in FL? you could get some adult interaction at the community meals/activities, it's low key and all toddlers love the beach!

alternatively, if i were travelling alone with my three year old, i'd want to stay somewhere in a suite or condo so i could cook simple meals. nothing is fun about many nights out at a restaurant in a row with a little one!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM

An alternative to condos would be suite type hotels like Homewood Suites.

What are your interests? How about Santa Fe or someplace in the SW?
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I will research the Club Med site- the idea of a little break during the day is appealing!

Santa Fe and the SW has always intrigued me- are there any activites that you know of that my daughter might enjoy there? (zoos, parks, childrens museums?)
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM

Bless you and your family.

Wondering: do you have any friends or others in your situation with a little girl the same age, or perhaps a relative with a child? You might find the logistics of the trip a little easier to deal with if there are 2 of you, and your daughter might enjoy the activities more with a companion.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:24 PM

Albuquerque and Santa Fe both have great children's museums; Albuquerque's is bigger and has more to do, though. The zoo, botanic gardens, and aquarium are all in that same area, down near Old Town.

The weather should be nice in April and May, and you may be able to get inexpensive airfare on Southwest.

Lee Ann
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:58 PM

Thanks, Eleni. I had no idea. We took a 5 year old along for a day trip to Santa Fe from Alb. and he had a blast - although we didn't do any kid-specific activities.

Miller, I was just thinking of some places I would enjoy visiting by myself and a 3 year old. Just a gorgeous part of the country and so much to see.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:26 PM
wow

Fly to West Palm Beach or Ft Lauderdale. Stay @ Wright-by-the Sea in Delray Beach.(I will get the web site...something like wbts.com but I will check & post back). One bedroom unit. Nice pool for your 3 year old. Amazing beach. And in May it will be "Turtle Season" which you & your child will remember forever. Lots of activities & restaurants in the area for the two of you to enjoy.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:44 PM
wow

www.wbtsea.com
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:39 AM

How about a cruise? Friends just got back from Royal Carribbean w/ their 4 yr old and raved about all the activities for him that allowed them to have some alone time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:39 AM

Miller - I've been surfing around (great way to kill a little time here at work!) to see if there are any deals for you and came across one on Expedia for the Hilton Grand Vacations Club Sea World in Orlando. You can get non stop airfare for two and a room for 4 nights for $845 (I put in random dates from April 7-11 since their sale was listed during these times). They've got a free shuttle to Sea World and other WDW parks and the pools and amenities onsite look very nice. Plus, they offer a kids program which may allow for you to go to the spa one day (or relax on your own). You can find it under Vacation Packages in Expedia and I'm sure there are others too.
I've done my fair share of traveling with a toddler solo so I know how much fun/tiring it can be! Enjoy your time and I hope you both have a nice and semi-relaxing vacation!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM

What about Disneyworld? Your 3 year old would love it. The characters are magically real to kids at that age.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 01:17 PM

I agree that Disneyworld or a cruise might be really good options for a single mom. They're safe - transportation is not an issue. I'm assuming your husband is military - if so, Disney is offering some great discounts for military. You might be able to get a reservation at Shades of Green.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM

miller, I hope you have a wonderful trip with your dear little daughter, whatever you decide to do.

And a thank you to you and your husband for the sacrificies you are all making. May all of you be safe and together again as soon as possible.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:15 PM

wow, that's a great idea for her to go to see the turtle's but I think that's only in the three months of june july august. I used to take my son every year when he was little, lucky kid. Definitely put it on your list, mom.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
wow

First 2 weeks in May: Right on the beach in front of Wright-by-the-Sea.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:35 AM

Hi Miller, I have a four year old and have taken her everywhere!!We just went to Disneyland and she couldn't get enough of it especially the character breakfasts.Three days were enough though..then you can stay by a pool for awhile.Good luck and all my best to your loved ones..I feel indebted to people like yourself who sacrifice so much to keep our countries (I'm Canadian) safe, thank you.Kelly
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback- the idea of seeing turtles is VERY interesting to the both of us, so that is at the top of the list. I checked out the wbtsea website and it looks great- a manageable size for chasing a 3 year old!

We visited Disney for three days the week before Christmas- kind of a "sendoff" trip before my husband left in Jan. We all loved it- its a great time to visit if you can break away during the holidays. I remember telling my husband that I was definitely coming back same time, this year, so that is on the calendar, too.

Once I gather enough Southwest credits, Sante Fe is on the list-

Thanks for all the kind words of support, too, for our situation. Traveling together is one way for us to make the best of a tough situation, plus its a little more affordable since its just one adult, not two. Please know I was not looking for sympathy, only trying to explain that I am very new at single parenthood, and not always aware of my limitations or things to look for/avoid! Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -