Reload this Page >

Ideas for a quick FLA trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 10:41 AM
need

My husband and I are interested in taking a trip to Florida sometime in Feb / March. We are in mid 20's, and want somewhere that is fun - music, bars, shopping, beach . . . Any ideas? We are open to many possibilities - but not sure which caters to that type of activities. Trying to stay out of Miami, if possible. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 10:48 AM
Lora

I'd suggest Downtown Disney and
City Walk around Universal Studios

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 11:00 AM
Larry

Fort Lauderdale or the Keys.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 11:05 AM
L

Amazing - South Beach!!!! I love questions that answer themselves. Buy the tickets today and never look back. Book a room as close to the sidewalk as possible, reserve at every salsa club you can find, and learn every rum drink alive. Prepare To Party. C

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 11:16 AM
AC

Hi need@vacation:
Why dont you want to go to Miami?
I love Ft Lauderdale but 20 somethings seem to prefer South Beach. Have fun!!!

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 11:54 AM
susan

I agree with everyone else who thinks you should go to South Beach. With the exception of the beach, Key West would be a good choice, too, but it's not particularly convenient for a short trip and it doesn't have any good beaches.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 12:04 PM
need

Thank you all for your input. Not sure why we didn't want to go to Miami - but I think for a fun weekend, it will probably be our best bet. . . I will look into it, thanks!!!!

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 01:41 PM
Jim

I would suggest Ft. Lauderdale or Key West. Key West is THE place to go if you want to unwind, party, and sleep. Not much for beaches though. I was just down in Ft Lauderdale recently and was very impressed. I am 32 and have done the whole Spring Break thing years ago. I thought Ft Lauderdale was going to be a big party place but there is actually a lot more to do. Great shops on Los Ochos Blvd (name might be off), the Riverwalk, and beachfront. AND, if you are up for partying, they have a whole mall of bars (yes... a mall of bars). There is a Hooters, a Iguana Cantina, a Sloppy Joes (famous Key West bar), and a great piano bar called Howln' at the Moon. Ft. Lauderdale is a great place!!!

Good Luck.....

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 01:45 PM
Jim

One last point regarding the above message.... On my recent trip to Lauderdale we actually did a Lauderdale to Miami South Beach to Key West 4 day "Power Trip". I don't have much good to say about So. Beach. I found it dirty, the beach was rock hard, and during the day there is a park that separates the beach from the boulevard. Lotsa homeless people in the park. I didn't feel safe but hey, maybe that's me. Nighttime was pretty cool, but still didn't feel entirely safe.... Very dirty beach area.

Just an opinion....

Jim

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 04:00 AM
Larry

To follow up on Jim's post, I have had many friends visit me from the North that share his opinion. While I'm not sure Fort Lauderdale is actually much "safer" than So. Beach, perception is reality. If you feel uncomfortable in a place, you won't have as good a time as you might in a place you do feel comfortable. The original poster was "trying to stay out of Miami", which indicates to me that she and/or her husband might have a preconcieved notion of what Miami is like. So, they probably won't feel as comfortable in Miami as in Ft Lauderdale. I suggest staying in Lauderdale, and making a day trip to South Beach (only about a 35-40 minute ride from Ft Lauderdale. That way you can tell if the South Beach scene is for you. Some people enjoy the atmosphere of multiculturalism and alternate lifestyles that SoBe exudes, and don't feel like they are going to get mugged everytime they see a bum. But there are many people who would feel uneasy in this type of crowd, and the Broward County beach scene is a great alternative for them.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 05:32 AM
L

South Beach may or may not be your scene. But I'm not sure how one ought to categorize the advice being posted. Some of it sounds like advice for visiting a zoo - keep a safe distance, don't feed the inmates, etc. Strange. C

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 06:22 AM
Larry

Not stange at all, L. This forum is not about debating whether it is right or wrong to feel uncomfortable in South Beach, it is about providing advice so people have the best time FOR THEM. Like you say, South Beach may or may not be your scene, but i'll say it again, the original question made the statement "trying to stay out of Miami". To me, that's a clue that South Beach may indeed not be for them. Please accept the fact that some people don't want to be panhandled during vacation.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 07:45 AM
L

I'm usually comfortable whatever people decide, so I care not whether it's Miami, Key West or Ft. L. But IF you look at "Need"'s second message, it seems she may now be interested in Miami as a place to have fun. Or is that a misreading? I stand by my view - the comments I read were only marginally, objectively travel related. Some are patently comments on one or more other issues, clearly anecdotal and narrowly based. I would ask whether it's rational, or helpful, for one to focus on one aspect of a place, panhandlers, for example, and suggest it's travel advice, and then suggest that another's reaction to such is unsuitable to appear. Certain of the comments are clearly prejudicial and designed for little other than emotional reactions to mirror another's prejudices. You can have the last word: we have panhandlers in DC - do you advise people to stay away on January 20th? C

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 07:58 AM
Larry

To respond to your question, yes I would suggest staying away from DC on January 20, IF there was another presidential swearing-in in a better city. LOL!!! The point is there is a vacation alternative (Ft Lauderdale) to Miami. There is no alternative if you want to be present to see Bush take office. And I'm a little offended at your insinuation that someone who feels uncomfortable around panhandlers is somehow prejudiced? What right to you have to dictate to people how and when to feel secure or not? I live in Miami, and see the same homeless guy at a busy intersection every week. I'm not afraid, and often pass a few words with him while waiting for the light (but never give him any change . Often I see people around me furiously rolling up windows and locking doors at this intersection. Who is to say who is right? If it makes them feel more secure, why should it be wrong? I guess these people are prejudiced as well.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 08:12 AM
Annie

How did this become a debate about prejudice and panhandlers??
Need @ vacation:
I have never been to South Beach but have been to Ft Lauderdale--great party town. I would also drive down to South Beach just to see what the fuss is about. It is not a long drive. Enjoy yourself whatever you decide to do.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 08:28 AM
Diane

Always good to note: If you are flying to the Miami area you can fly into either Miami or Ft Lauderdale. Sometimes the fares are cheaper into Lauderdale. The drive between the two is really minimal.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 08:43 AM
L

Annie: Perhaps a quick read? BTW, LOL at the thought of grown people doing the window and door thing when a panhandler appears, and actually conversing on the street (try giving them some spare change too - have a heart!). And LOL at the guaranteed reaction DC elicits. C

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 09:21 AM
S

Would someone please explain what LOL
means? It's driving me crazy that I
can't figure it out for myself.
Thanks a lot.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 10:06 AM
backpacker

Fort Lauderdale has all the fun of Miami without the higher prices, crowding, and crime. And the new hostel just 200 meters from the beach only charges $17.00. And its an easy daytrip to Miami if you need to go.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 10:41 AM
Annie

LOL=Laughing out loud
ROTFLOL=Rolling on the floor laughing out loud.