Reload this Page >

Ideas for a 1 night get-away from Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Alisa

My boyfriend and I have been working, working, working...and finally have a day of together. Does anyone have any ideas for a nice, romantic overnight from LA? It would be in a couple of weeks--Saturday mornng to Sunday early afternoon.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 11:12 AM
steve

How about Santa Barbara? It is a beautiful place w/nice restaurants etc. The only problem might be that most places there require a 2-night minimum on weekends.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 12:34 PM
michele

Alisa,
I agree that most places will request a two night stay for reservation.

Santa Barbara is a good suggestion. Also, Ojai (quiet), San Diego and the area, Palm Springs. Ventura is another popular beach town destination

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Lori

How about Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear?

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 10:38 PM
Alisa

Thanks for the replies--I was thinking maybe Big Bear as we have been to SB a few times. Anyone with any hotel ideas?

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 05:02 PM
uuu

hi alisa,

my husband and i were looking for the same thing last october, when we decided to head to big bear. we left on friday night and arrived at the holiday inn around 10pm. the holiday inn was the only "hotel" that i could find that was 3 star AAA. it was important that we feel comfortable in a clean place since it was a "getaway".
anyhow, it was a very nice room with a whirlpool, and a fireplace. there was a balcony and we were on the first floor, and it gave a sort of woods feel because it was in the middle of the woods.
the only problem we had was that the mattress was way too soft and springy. when we notified them upon checkout they took one night off the bill.
otherwise, nice property, clean, and comfortable.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 02:18 PM
Matt

Two words--La Jolla!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 03:13 PM
Rachel

If you can afford the splurge, try the Biltmore Hotel in Santa Barbara. You can take the train there and back, which may be more relaxing than driving, and enjoy the scenery along the way.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 12:44 PM
JP

In PS, if you want romantic and will get plain silly with your budget, do the Willows. Other alternatives are renting the Nash House at Korakia (less, but still $$$) the Villa Royale (go have a drink at the Europa bar if you don't stay there), or Villa Serena, probably most affordable. For a romantic dinner try La Provence or St. James at the Vineyard. In November and December PS gives good ambiance. The weather is perfect and Palm Canyon is decorated for the holidays. Of course, the key is having romance in your soul and the spark in your eye to kindle the flames.
Peace.