Ice Skating: Central Park or Rock Center

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:46 AM
kim

Ice Skating: Central Park or Rock Center

I will be in NYC over the holidays and would like to ice skate lat in the evening (10 or 11PM). Are both places unbearably crowded? One less so than the other? Will going that late in the evening help or would I be much better off in the AM?

Thanks!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Philip

Rock Center is for the tourist crowd who want to say "been there, done that". It depends on what day you go as some days are more crowded than others.

The skating in Central Park has funny entrance times. I think they only stay open until 10pm on certain nights and some nights close much earlier. It is less touristy and IMO not as crowded.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Merilee

If you decide to skate in Central Park call ahead and check out the schedule because there are a couple days during the week when a section of the ice is reserved for lessons even though a regular session is going on around it. I failed to read the sign at the entrance which stated the above. The session was so crowded with kids on their school vacation that there really wasn't enough room to have fun. This was in the afternoon though. There are long lines to skate in Rockefeller Center at all times during Christmastime, but I think the evening is more popular because of all the twinkling lights from the tree and the promenade.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:12 AM
xxx

I love Wollman Rink! Rockefeller if you are under stricter time restaints.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:39 AM
ivan

http://www.wollmanskatingrink.com/winter/index.htm

CHECK IT OUT

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:35 PM
John

Kim:

Normally I would say "Central Park". Killer views and much larger skating surface.....but 10pM in the Central Park!! ...I am not sure how safe it would be getting in and out..unless you know your way around!
JOHN