Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I would like opinion on the best location to stay 2 nights between Portland, Maine and Bar Harbor.

Search

I would like opinion on the best location to stay 2 nights between Portland, Maine and Bar Harbor.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Portland, Me August 24 and spending the first night (no reservations yet)in Portland, then driving up the coast toward Bar Harbor where we will be spending one week. It is my husband and I and we would like a good midpoint between these two locations for 2 nights with suggestions for favorite hotels, restaurants and activities in that town. I am leaning toward Camden but would like your opinions first. We are flying out of Bangor after our one week in Bar Harbor. We have a total of 10 nights to spend. Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We like the rustic beloins.com for cabins near Camden, the Village Restaurant downtown is one of our favorites along with the lobster pound in Lincolnville.

In Boothbay Harbor, Welch House Inn is nice and Andrew's Harborside is the place to eat! Camden is a little more touristy than Boothbay...more to do, but a lot like Bar Harbor, full of hustle and bustle in summer. Boothbay is for quiet walks along the shore, and maybe a Clambake trip to an island.

If you could wait two weeks until after Labor Day, Maine will be a whole different world after 90percent of the tourists go back home. In August I would say prepare for T R A F F I C !
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Clarkgriswold:
I don't see Lincolnville in the Atlas, but I'll check mapquest.
Did you ever eat in or hear anything about Dudley's Diner in Ellsworth? Our dentist just recommended it. Said it is very popular with the locals and has great lobster. We will be trying it in October.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:31 AM

ttt
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Hi Sheila,

A few years ago I spent a week in Camden (in October) and just loved it. I stayed at the Youngtown Inn a few miles from downtown. A charming B&B on a beautiful country road. They serve a fabulous breakfast and have an excellent restaurant where you can enjoy a romantic dinner.

I also took an afternoon sail on the "Surprise" and really enjoyed that as well. Have a wonderful trip. http://www.youngtowninn.com
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM

We did this last summer. Camden is a cute little town but the traffic is horrible. Actually, the traffic all up the coast from NH to Bar Harbor is pretty bad (the Camden area the worst).
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Instead of changing hotels 3 times, we are thinking of staying longer in Portland as a base and then going on to Bar Harbor area. Would it be too far to come back to Camden area to spend the day or is this too much backtracking? Would it be better to skip Portland and go on up the coast to stop in Camden/Rockland area as first leg of trip? Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:51 PM

I really like Camden(we stay there every year)and would rather spend time around that area than Portland. The small towns are much more charming. We have spent time in Portland and I am glad we saw it, but I would not hang around there with such a beautiful state just waiting for you!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 03:08 AM

Portland is way too far to enjoy day trips around the Camden or Boothbay area. Those leisurely drives out to places like Pemaquid Point add up to a lot of miles. Camden is one of the most beautiful towns in Maine. The restaurants will be busy and, yes, downtown is very congested. But you should be able to get directions from your hotel or B&B to avoid driving right thru downtown where it is the most congested. Camden is a great place for exploring south to the Owl's Head area (transportation museum and nice short hike to the lighthouse plus great nearby lobster at Waterman's Beach) and north. The Cellar Door Winery in Lincolnville, off the beaten path. If you stay in Boothbay, check the boat tours given by the Maritime Museum in Bath.