Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I tried posting this on the airline forum, but it wouldn't take, so I'm asking my ff question here

Search

I tried posting this on the airline forum, but it wouldn't take, so I'm asking my ff question here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this before, but the Fodor's system wouldn't take it (argh) even though I've been able to respond to other questions.

Anyway, I hear about people booking as soon as possible for ff tickets, I want to do the opposite and book as late as possible.

I have enough points on Delta for a FF ticket. And I might have some time off soon (not sure yet). So I was wondering if I could book a ff flight the day ahead of possible trip or if I need to have more time.

I have a few options of where I'd like to go and I don't have a preference over which location. Sort of like a mystery trip.

And I just read the thread about airlines 'combining' low-load flights so I hope if I book as late as possible, they won't rescedule my flights.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Since you are only one person flying and you don't have a set schedule or even a set destination, you will probably have good luck getting a ticket. I don't know if a day ahead would be cutting it too close though.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Just a wild guess here, but I bet the Delta FF program telephone people will be better able to answer your question than random Fodoristas. Call me crazy.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

As I look on this thread, there is an ad for Delta. Atlanta to Rio for $598. One of my possible US destinations costs almost as much.

Gardyloo, I may be crazy, but I'd like to know if someone here has done that before. I don't spend a lot of time on planes so I would love to know if a road/air warrior has done this.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
TC

Its all a matter of supply and demand. If you want to go somewhere on a flight that has FF seats available, then you can book it. Most airlines use E-tickets so it doesn't matter how late you book the flights. Some airlines used to charge a premium for last minute bookings -- $25 or so to get the tickets out. We often use FF miles to fly last minute for family emergencies etc. as a last minute purchased ticket is quite expensive. You do still have to meet all the FF ticket criteria such as a Saturday night stay.