Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Potential Delta Bankruptcy - Should I redeem FF miles now on partner airline such as Air France?

Search

Potential Delta Bankruptcy - Should I redeem FF miles now on partner airline such as Air France?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have enough Delta FF points for 2 business class to France on Air France - don't have any immediate plans but would I be advised to get the points out of Delta and into Air France? Can I make changes later? Sorry - not familiar with U.S. airlines FF rules as these are old Amex points I shoved over to Delta when Air Canada was having its problems!

Any comments/information would be welcomed - thanks!
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Singletail

You want THE answer? Contact your respective airline. You want opinions? Wait around here.

Old May 29th, 2004, 04:06 PM

Delta's finance is in pretty good shape, and they have plenty of cash on hand, so you don't have to worry at all for the short term. United is in bankruptcy; CO, USAir have all been there before, and short of totally shutting down (like Swiss, Sabena or Ansett), your FF miles will still have value; and there's no way in the near future DL will shut down.

So, use your miles when and if you can - and that applies to basically all airline - as the value of a FF mile has continued to decline over the years. But no need to hurry to spend your Skymiles immediately.
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:01 AM

Agree wholeheartedly with rkkwan!

In the very unlikely event that DL went under (so Chapter 7 liquidation, not Chapter 11 bankruptcy like United or US Airways), chances are that your FF award ticket would be useless regardless of what airline you were booked on, since the ticket would still be issued by Delta.

So, I would book an award trip with those miles in the foreseeable future and choose whatever airline offered me the most coonvenient schedules.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:12 AM

The last major US airlines to shutdown is Eastern in 1991. There was a bitter strike by the pilots - and some of them are still trying to find jobs, or have switched to much lower paying ones... Unless the DL pilots decided to go down the same paths as their Atlanta neighbors, and destroyed their own employer and careers...
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Iy is true that Delta just hired a New York based law firm to advice on restructuring its business as they are loosing more and more money, they are very far from going under. Delta may seek bankrupcy protection is cannot cut costs, but they will not diappear anytime soon. Stop worrying!

You could read more about the situation here:

<b> http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2C365F68</b>
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Allow me to correct the mistakes

It is true that Delta just hired a New York based law firm to advice on restructuring its business as they are loosing more and more money, but they are very far from going under. Delta may seek bankrupcy protection if it cannot cut costs, but they will not diappear anytime soon. Stop worrying!

You could read more about the situation here:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2C365F68
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - will sit tight for now - as a Canadian I just wasn't sure about the implication of Chapter 11.
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Chapter 11 is a &quot;protection&quot; from creditors, so that everything has to go through a judge who oversea the reorganization of debt. Chapter 7 is liquidation.

Air Canada has been operating under bankruptcy filings for a long time, and it's in much worse financial shape than DL.

And even with Canadian, people with CP's FF miles had them transferred to AC's Aeroplan miles, and nobody has lost &quot;everything&quot; yet, despite one airline disappearing, and another in deep trouble.
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:55 AM

I traded my delta FF miles for a 30K &quot;coupon&quot; good for a year last December.
Clearly stated on the trip coupon was that it was valid for a RT to Hawaii among other more local stuff.
Delta changed the requirements for FF miles to HI in March to 35K, but don't try to get to any good destination on Delta, 'cuz they now want double miles to Vacation sites (i.e. STO in Jan - 60K FF mi vs 30K on AA).
Delta will go Chapter 11 shortly, but that should not impact their niggardly miles program.
M
Their seats on 737-300 really suck c/w AA in the US and to MX from DFW