I think I finalized (almost) my Arizona itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay we are coming in March 31st and leaving on morning of April 11th.
Tempe (first night-quick business meeting
Sedona (second day and night)
GC (Bright Angel cabin one night
Monument Valley (Gouldings-one night)
Canyon de Chelly (Thunderbird (one night)
Maybe Holbrook or Flagstaff ( one night)
End of touring--now for golf (for my husband and R&R)
3 nights Rancho de Los Cabaleros
2 nights Scottsdale area(may try Pricleline for this)
Then home on the 11th.
What do you think guys? All thoughts appreciated! H
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:42 PM

Sounds great. Be sure to both take the guided tour into Canyon de Chelly AND drive along the rim--preferably at sunset. MMMMM!
Vera
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:12 AM

Hi Vera

which guided tour did you take in CdC?

Also which rim at sunset?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Syv

I agree about the guided tour at Canyon de Chelley.

There were jeeps "everywhere" just waiting for you the moment you step out of your own vehicle. Just arrange a ride with any.

...better than damaging your own car (ha, ha)
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Having never heard of Canyon de Chelley before beginning research for this trip--I find I am more excited about seeing this than the GC!!!
It says on Mapquest that from Chinle(Canyon de Chelley) to Wickenburg is about 6 hours long?? Is this correct? Was even thinking about having one long day of driving and going directly to Wickenburg rather than a night in Holbrook or Flagstaff. What do you guys think? H
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:22 AM

We arrive late on 21st April so have booked 1st night just outside Tucson (Catalina). Quite a lot of driving (but supposed to be very scenic - thru Salt River Canyon) on day 2 to stay at Wigwam Motel, Holbrook, next night and then drive thru Petrified Forest, Painted Desert to arrive Chinle midday and spend afternoon at CdC. Then next day up to Monument Valley - so a bit in reverse of yours.

Of course "quite a lot of driving " to me might not be to you? This is my first real Fly Drive.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

We don't mind the driving at all--but I am just asking if the timetable for six hours between Chinle and Wickenburg are close to reality. Hate to set out on what we think is 6 hours and it ends up 12!! In such a case better to stay somewhere halfway. H
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:34 PM

It's about a 6 - 6 1/2 hour drive between Chinle and Wickenburg BUT there is a lot of intereting places to stop on the way! Hubbell Trading Post Historical Site, Painted Desert National Monument, Petrified Forest National Park, Walnut Canyon National Monument, Montezuma's Castle National Monument and Sedona.

Utahtea
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM

You asked about the guided tours in Canyon de Chelly. Actually the only way you can go is with a guide, unless you walk down the trail from the rim.
Look at Thunderbird Lodge site for info on the "troop truck" tours that leave from the lodge. I am not familiar with the free-lance jeep tours mentioned by another poster. It was my understanding that all the guides were licensed by the Park Service and either drive the trucks out of Thunderbird, or you go to the visitor's center and ask for a driver for your own vehicle (only if you have a four-wheel drive). By the way, I just talked to a Navajo from Chinle last weekend and he told me that the mud is knee-deep down in the canyon. Maybe it will be somewhat dried out by March 31st. One can only hope!
As to my own experience, I've taken the half-day grip out of Thunderbird; the whole day trip; AND hired a driver at the visitor's center in order to have more flexibility.There are actually two canyons, and you only see one on the half-day tour. I think the full day trip is 200 percent better than the half day trip. Loved all of them. You buy a packed lunch from the Thunderbird cafe to take along.

For the sunset drive I was thinking south rim. You'll stop several times and walk out to look-outs. Try to get all the way to Spider Woman Rock before it gets dark.

I don't think you're doing too much driving because the scenery is totally awesome.

Vera
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Vera!! Have decided to take long drive from Chinle to Wickenburg. We will enjoy the scenery enroute for sure and should arrive taking our time by dinner that night. My question is this--in order to take the full trip at Canyon De Chelley what time do we need to arrive there from Monument Valley and how long is the drive between the two places? I know we are going to be tired (we are a young 60) but we are trying to sightsee without seeing everything and relax and enjoy climate and scenery/culture of those in the Southwest. Thanks for your help you and everyone--continue with any other ideas you might have. H
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM

It's about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Monument Valley to Chinle.

The Thunderbird Lodge all day tours start at 9 A.M. They do have half day tours that start at 9 a.m., 1 or 2 p.m. There are other tour operators.

http://www.tbirdlodge.com/Tours.htm

I would inquire of the conditions before you depart Monument Valley. No need rushing if you can't take a tour.

Utahtea
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Utahtea!! You are the best! H