Reload this Page >

I see the travel professionals are back here in full force

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 11:37 AM
ifitlooks

Well, well...I see that we have a multitude of travel industry professionals here once again, posting questions and answers about everything from cruises to travel newsletter subscriptions to hotel promos. Why is it that just about every one of the posts about Hawaii, for example, ask about specific hotels and are always posted at two or three at a time?

It's so obvious when travel industry people are trolling here because their posts always focus on the commission-earning items like cruises and luxury hotels, not the budget-minded, independent travel that most Fodorites come here for.

Now get ready for the parade of denials and/or self defensive diatribes because here they come! Travel professionals, go somewhere ELSE!!

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 12:38 PM
xx

travel agent anal retentive people like you always seem to start up this type of post. didn't mum ever teach you that if you didn't have anything worthwile to contribute, then you shouldn't contribute at all? you look like a lame duck in waiting. please go and quack up some one else's forum.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 06:37 AM
cal

ifitlooks:

Why are you being so presumptious in assuming that everybody is only interested in budget travel? I do not think that everybody on this forum is only concerned with Motel 6 or like places.

I have no problem with anybody posting information or asking questions. I just ignore the stuff that doesn't interest me.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 12:07 AM
not

Typical travel agent responses here, as expected. They all scream "just ignore it if you don't like it!!"

Well, go have a look at Frommer's or any other travel site that's been overwhelmed and taken over by travel industry folks and you'll find a infrequently visited, boring, commercial site filled with vultures waiting to pounce on unsuspecting prey who make the mistake of wandering into the lair.

Fodor's is what is it is because of the self-policing policy that it advocates. If the users of this forum don't watch out for the advertisers and commission-seekers then it will become another Frommer's or worse yet, Lonely Planet.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 04:30 AM
J T Kirk

I agree with Cal. I don't use this forum for budget issues. I use it to get good, useful and sometimes unwritten-in-a-guidebook type of info. Personally, I can't tell who are the supposed "travel professionals" and who aren't. Like Cal, I ignore the stuff that doesn't interest me. You make me paranoid. There have been a few times when I have given, in response to a question, a phone number or a Website (of a hotel or a tour group) so that the person can get better, more direct information. I always wonder if someone is going to jump on me and accuse me of being a "travel professional." Lighten up, people. Having said all of that, I will add that I wouldn't like it if this site became inundated with travel agents hawking their wares. But, so far, I haven't seen that.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Cal

Not Fooled:

For your information I am not a travel agent nor do I have any connection to the travel or tourism industry. I am a computer consultant. In fact, I do not even use travel agents. I still stand by my above post.