Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I need help with a street location in New Orleans.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Sheila

I am trying to exchange for a timeshare in New Orleans for next March. I have never been so I would appreciate your help. The condos are located on Esplanade Ave., Decatur, Chartres, Burgandy, Tchonpitoulas, and St. Charles Ave. Do any of these locations sound convenient to be located for 1 week stay in New Orleans. I am hoping to find something convenient to walking to French Quarter and is in a safe area. Thanks for any help you can give. I looked at a street map but it is hard to tell since I have never been in the area before.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:39 AM
traveler

Try going to Mapquest (www.mapquest.com) or www.Expedia.com for their maps and writing in the addresses and that should bring up just where they are all located. Or go to www.tug2.net and ask on a timeshare BBS. Lots of people on that board visit New Orleans.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Cathie

John and Meg are from New Orleans and seem to know everything and anything that you might want to know. Maybe they will see this post and answer. But this info may help some.
Burgundy is 2 blocks north of Bourbon St.
Chartres 2 blocks south of Bourbon
Esplanade is on the edge of the Quarter.
Decatur 3 blocks south of Bourbon
These are all considered the French Quarter I believe.
Then St. Charles is on the opposite side of Canal St. and can take you to the Garden District.
Tchoupitoulas is also over in that direction.
Hope this helps some...
I got a map called Mapeasy's Guidemap to New Orleans at the book store and it was great...
Maybe you should post the names of the places that you are considering and John and Meg can help.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Sheila

Thanks Cathie. I could see by the map that some of them were close to Bourbon St. but I did not how many streets were considered French Quarter. I was hoping to walk to restaurants, etc. I appreciate your help. I will probably just have to take the one available but I can usually list a top 3 for the exchange.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Cathie

I think it was Meg that told me it was best to stay South of Bourbon. We stayed at the Chateau Hotel on the corner of Chartres and St. Phillip and walked EVERYWHERE...we thought that was a great location - far enough from the noise but close enough to walk to everything.
You can get all kinds of help from people on this forum regarding N.O. so be sure to ask no matter what the questions are.
I hope you have good luck in getting the accommodations that you want. I am not familiar with any of the timeshares but I am sure someone on this forum is if you have any specifics as far as what they are like and exact locations.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 03:57 AM
John

Without specific addresses, it's impossible to say for certain if the locations are good since some of the streets are quite long and go through several neighborhoods. However, all SOUND okay. I would choose Esplanade, Chartres and Decatur as my top three provided the addresses are LOWER than 1000 (as in 1-999).

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 11:03 AM
Sheila

Thanks. Here are street addresses: 240 Burgundy, 405, 613, 627-633 Esplanade, 115 Decatur and 129 Chartes. I will make all but Burgundy my first choices. Thanks again.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Shelley

Hi Sheila.
I would reccomend Decatur. It is pretty much walking distance to everything in the FQ. Lots of "themed restaurants" on Decatur. Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, House of Blues, etc..
Also a cute little restaurant that is very reasonable, nice for lunch, called Cafe' Maspero.
I've been to N.O. 6 times in the past 3 years! Have a GREAT time!!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Meg

I would recommend the 600 block of Esplanade. After that, I think my preference would be the Decatur address follwed by Chartres. The 240 block of Burgundy may be too creepy for you at night. I don't particularly care for the Decature or Chartres addresses either (both are in high-traffic, noisy areas in not the most attractive part of the Quarter), but they are better than the Burgundy location.

Sheila - the boundaries of the Quarter are Esplanade on the lower end, Canal on the upper (or uptown) end, the Mississippi River (riverside) and Rampart on the lakeside. The addresses in the Quarter run from 500 - 1000 from the river to Rampart and from the 100 block to (help me, pelase, John - ) 1200 or 1300 block from Canal to Rampart. I always recommend the lower Quarter (on the Esplanade side of Jackson square, which is bounded by St. Peter and St. Ann - the 800 to 900 block from Canal to Esplanade is where I really notice a change in the Quarter) unless somone wants to be near the part of Bourbon that everyone visualizes as "THE FRENCH QUARTER". I find the upper Quarter really sleazy (and incredibly interesting at the same time) for the most part - but that's where the majority of the tourist action is.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 11:57 AM
John

Meg's right on all accounts. The Quarter addresses run from 0-1399 on Chartres, Decatur, Bourbon, Royal, Dauphine and Burgundy. On all others, it's 400-999, I think.

One thing to consider...if you go "higher" than these numbers, do so on the first group of streets (Chartres, Royal, etc) as they run into the Faubourg Marigny. This is an infinitely better area for tourists than is the Treme, which is across Rampart from all of the other streets.

Hope this isn't too confusing!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Meg

I probably didn't help make it any less confusing by making a reference about addresses running from Canal to Rampart - that should have read from Canal to Esplanade. Thanks for the help, John - I can never remember the numbers on that last block before Esplanade. I'm in the 900 block on Dumaine, so I know the block just before Rampart hits the 1000's. I think Peristyle is at 1041 Dumaine.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Sheila

Thanks to all for information. I have put in my request and will have to wait until they let me know which location is available.