Reload this Page >

I am tired of slamming doors at hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Jim

We are in the middle of a three week driving trip throughout America and are starting to get tired of staying at hotels. Why? The slamming doors.

Recently in the name of safety most chain hotels, withinside halls, have bought new heavy doors. They are set to close themselves without being pulled. The result is a constant BOBOOM noise everytime someone goes in and out of their room. At a busy hotel this is a 24/7 situation. Last night we did not sleep at all and counted a door slam 89 times from 10 pm to 7 am.

Why can't hotels get quieter doors and better soundproofing. We tried ear plugs, still could not sleep!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Frank

Jim: I agree 100%, it's the same problem on Cruise Ships. It's interesting that hotels used to provide a good basic place to sleep, now you get all the amenities but can't sleep a wink.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:45 AM
xxx

Yes, I would rather have lightweight doors that are easily broken open than heavy fire resistant doors.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:52 AM
r-travels

Just because the doors are heavy doesn't mean they have to be closed loudly. People (guests AND hotel staff) just let the closing mechanisms pull (slam) the door shut, rather than to hold the door as it closes, in a firm but controlled manner.

Add to that complaint the loud conversations in the hallway, often between housekeeping staff, but often guests too. Just no respect for others.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:54 AM
xxx

89 times? Assuming you can hear the doors slamming the floor you are staying on, the floor above you, and the floor below you, that still seems logistically impossible.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:55 AM
madge

If slamming hotel doors are the only thing you can find to complain about, I think you're having a pretty good trip!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:58 AM
jill

The fire resistant doors are a very important necessity. They say many lives, but I also agree that the constant slamming is a big headache. The majority of people at the hotels/cruise dships live in their own private houses so their common sense etiquette for doors and elevators is not used on a day-to-day basis. Those of us who live in high-rise apartment buildings in New York City know what to do, we gently close the heavy front door by hand. Also, slamming a door shut and walking away does not always mean the lock is in place.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Kris

Hello, I am sitting in the Residence Inn in Greenbay Wis. I to spent the night with doors slamming. Why,, when people arrive late, do they allow that to happen. Did their parents not train them to care about others? Seems not. I was awake all night.
Sleepless in Greenbay

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Jim

Yes, 89 times. After the first loud BOOMBOOM we statred counting the times the door slammed, just like counting sheep to try to get asleep.

The trip has been ruined by the door slamming, we are to tired to enjoy ourselves.

BABOOM!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:03 AM
x

I hate hearing hallway noise in my room. I usually take the heavy bedspread off the bed and stuff it at the base of the door. I notice that doing this takes care of a lot of the slamming, talking and running noises that can be heard through the cracks around the base of the door.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:04 AM
xxx

Jim, you are pretty sad if HOTEL DOORS have ruined your vacation. Please do a shot of Nyquill before you go to bed tonight.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:04 AM
xxx

Troll.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:11 AM
lee

I couldn't agree more. People who let their doors slam in the middle of the night are the rudest most inconsiderate *%$#* s on the planet. My wife and I travel with a loud 20" box fan. We use it as "white noise" to block out the door slams. If we can't carry one in our lugguge, we buy one when we arrive and leave it there. Best $15 you'll ever spend.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Lance

to XXX. Sleeping well is very important on vacation, don't you think?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Cat

It is the fault of the people who let the doors slam, not the hotel. There is nothing you can do to stop it. Next time talk to your doctor about prescribing something to help you sleep.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Cat

It is the fault of the people who let the doors slam, not the hotel. There is nothing you can do to stop it. Next time talk to your doctor about prescribing something to help you sleep.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Frank

I don't understand why doorchecks can't be placed on the doors to dampen the slam but still automatically close the door.

Jill: You are indeed lucky, we live in a Manhattan apartment building and the door slamming is epidemic. I think it's a generational thing, years ago people were taught to have respect for neighbors weither at home or on vacation.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Jason

If I am going to stay more than 1 nite which is usually the case, I do the best I can to schedule my arrival at the hotel between 2-3pm.That is when most hotels have their check ins.But I always know what that time is.If I cant do that, then I try to call the hotel between 11-12Noon.I ask for the front desk even tho they are usually horribly busy checking people out.I ask for the top floor, at the end of the floor.That way there is less chance for traffic.This does not always work.If I cant make the calls my TA does it for me.I always like to know about the physical set up of the rooms rather than the amenities, etc.Thats what is important to me.IMHO.
Jason

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:38 AM
xxx

I think the guests staying at the hotel should chip in and pay for disgruntled Jim's hotel stay. And pick up his bar tab. Oh wait, they don't have a bar. How about change for the vending machines?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:40 AM
darvy

Baboom indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -