Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I am sick and tired of barking dogs in motels!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Kevin

The barking dog next door to my home is bad enough but now that I travel the sounds of barking dogs follow me to the motels I stay at!

Motels, in an effort to make more money, are now allowing dogs in the rooms. The people leave and the dogs bark and howl all day/night. The front desk clerk does nothing. I already checked in- what to do? Other than ear plugs and staying at the Ritz Carlton, which does not allow dogs!

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Jerry

Most motels accept dogs, get use to it just like ice machines, slamming doors, crying babies, rednecks with their doors open, loud fans/airconditioning, TV sets, and radios. Motels were not designed to sleep.

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Fighto

It is a good business decision to allow dogs in motels, people pay an extra fee and are more likely to travel if they can bring "fighto" Noise from barking dogs is part of life!

Old May 18th, 2002, 02:29 PM
r-travels

When you have problems in a hotel with EXCESSIVE (keywork!) noise, explain to the desk clerk or manager that you will only complain to him once, that subsequent complaints will be to the police. Then do it. It's a disturbance of the peace. Hotel operators cringe when the police pull up.

There is no reason for "noise from barking dogs is a fact of life" responses. If the hotel is willing to charge extra (and sometimes a HELL of a lot extra) for pets, then you deserve at least the the same $$ credit for failure of the hotel to provide "quiet abode" Yes, you might have to put up with it from the OWNER of property near you, but not from another customer renting space, the same as you.

Old May 18th, 2002, 03:20 PM
ssssssssss

Most motels do NOT allow pets. Check in advance & plan accordingly

Old May 18th, 2002, 07:29 PM
stupid

Hey Fighto, the name is Fido. Duh!

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Kevin

What motels do not allow dogs, I want to stay there!

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:56 AM
x

What do you expect Kevin when you stay at Motel 6????

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:47 AM
fido

Doncha hate it when people get your name wrong?

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:49 AM
poochie

we dogs aren't too thrilled at having to stay at the same motel as kevin.

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:52 AM
My2cents

There is a very famous painting (I think it is hanging in the Met.) of a bunch of dogs playing poker. I bet when dogs play poker they make a lot of noise. That is why it is ok to allow dogs in hotels but it is absolutely not acceptable to allow them to play poker in hotels.

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:56 AM
nina

Actually, many of the nicer hotels do allow dogs, like the Westin. I was VERY surprised to find this out. You would think that only the cheappy motels do this but many of the larger, higher end chain hotels do allow pets.

You better believe that if I'm staying at a Westin and a barking dog is keeping awake at night that the management will hear, and do something about it!

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:51 AM
judith

i love motels who accept dogs. i would not be able to travel without their acceptance. mr. jasper is very quiet. the only time he barks is when the neighbors are coming in and out of their rooms many, many times, slamming doors, talking loudly way into the night and early morning. it gets on his nerves.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Dale

Maybe I'm missing something but I travel weekly and have never seen a dog in a hotel! In fact, I'm surprised to hear that Westin indeed accepts pooches!

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Cathy

Just because some dogs are quiet does not mean that motels should let dogs in motels. Leave it in the pound oe with friends. I am tired of sleepless nights with barking all night.

If one in five dogs in the hotel bark then its to many!

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:43 AM
lassie

Maybe the barking dog is trying to tell you that little Timmy fell in the ice machine.

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Kit

Cathy, do you have Spellcheck, dear?
Those of us who are responsible pet owners welcome the opportunity to travel w/ pet--and we do pay for this option. I certainly wish hotels would charge EXTRA for children--the screaming, crying, sassing, Mom/Dad yelling are much more disturbing than the usual pet traveler.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:48 PM
Barker

A barking dog saved our lives in a hotel robbery, now I travel with a dog for MY protection. He alerts as to when someone is attempting to bother my door.
Kevin, maybe you should wonder WHY the dog is barking. Are you not awakened by the sex fiends banging away in the next room all night? What about those whose travel day starts at 4AM? Get a white noise machine, or better yet YOU STAY HOME!!!

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:05 PM
Carmen

Typical responses. If the dog is yours and it barks, then it is all right for 100 people to be waken and their vacations ruined. Or worse, because the barking dog kept the traveler up all night- they feel asleep behind the wheel on the interstate highway and caused a huge accident with many deaths and injuries!

All because greedy hotels wanted to make more money by allowing dogs in the rooms and the travelers with the barking dogs were to cheap to put "barkie" in the pound for the weekend.

Great!

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:19 PM
The Doctor

Maybe there are no dogs, Kevin. Maybe that's why the desk clerk wouldn't do anything. Maybe that's why the other hotel guests aren't complaining about dogs barking, they're complaining about that guy in #6 running around the parking lot with his hands on his head screaming "shut up!"

Take your meds....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -