Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I am an idiot for using Priceline for Fort Lauderdale.

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am an idiot. I used Priceline and did not get a room for $45 but did get one for $50. Did I pay too much? Another message board listed the hotel (LaQuinta) as musty.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:50 PM

Hiroshi, don't be so hard on yourself! No, you're not an idiot, but maybe you could have been better informed about bidding had you checked out www.biddingfortravel.com first. This is a site that will teach you how to bid on PL. The moderators will even help you construct your bid. Go to the BFT site and scroll down to FL hotels and check out recent successful bids in Ft. Lauderdale.

I am not affiliated with PL or BFT in any way, except as a happy consumer.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:55 PM

I have no idea if you paid too much or not. What part of Fort Lauderdale (what Priceline zone)? What quality level? What are hotels going for on the dates you are traveling? What's La Quinta's best rate for the same dates off their website?

It helps to do this kind of homework ahead of time, by the way. Best to set bidding limits on hotels - like (common sense) don't bid more than you can pay making the reservation on your own - not to say you did that here, because I'm not sure without knowing more info.

I can tell you that I did great getting a room for someone last November on in Fort Lauderdale on Priceline. I got the Embassy Suites (3-star) for $57/night + fees/taxes via Priceline for a pre-cruise stay. After the cruise I heard glowing reviews of the hotel. Without Priceline they probably would have stayed at a much cheaper place.

Andrew
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:38 AM

I suggest you stop worrying about it. If you are staying in FtL for even a week, that is only a $35 difference for the week - and while I also like to feel I am getting the lowest price on something, based on the cost of a vacation, that is really not that much.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:48 AM

I think the real thing about PL is to keep the "stars" at least 3 to assure getting a good place at a good price.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Hiroshi,I think your talking about the LaQuinta-Fort Lauderdale North.That is a 2* Hotel.That review your read about the room being musty was in 2001.Maybe you could post another question on Fodors about that specific hotel and see if anyone has stayed there recently....
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

The room is not musty! They use awful smelling green air freshener that they spray on the floor. When I asked them not to, the room did not smell bad or smell musty.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:44 PM

Well, did you shop like the dickens before bidding on Priceline?