I-90 Seattle to Maine September Ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2019, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I would love to know what is best to see in your state along the I-90. We are going mid September through mid October. We have no time constraints. We are going from the west to the east. We have no problem deviating off the I-90 to see all the amazing things in the area. Yellowstone is a must, but after that we are open for suggestions.
Thanks
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to USA forum
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 07:50 AM
J62

In my state, sites/region near I-90 include Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, Erie Canal, Adirondacks and/or Catskills.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 11:44 AM

Not my states, but what about Glacier NP or Badlands NP?
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Some of my favorite stops, going west to east as far as South Dakota...

Washington
- Snoqualmie Falls, around 40 minutes east of Seattle. Impressive waterfall amidst "Twin Peaks" locations.
- Wild Horses monument, overlooking the Columbia River at Vantage.
- Palouse Falls, roughly a one-hour detour south from I-90.
- Steptoe Butte, a wonderful overlook of the Palouse wheat country.
Map - https://goo.gl/maps/7gBJh7vMhiADoGGJ9

Idaho/Montana
- Coeur d'Alene, a pretty town on a very beautiful big lake
- Wallace, historic and scenic, much nicer now that the freeway has bypassed the town center.
- Missoula (MT) a terrific, hip college town
- Helena, Montana's historic and picturesque capital, with fab architecture in the downtown area and along Last Chance Gulch
- Land of Magic steakhouse, Logan (Manhattan) MT. I've just GOT to mention this place. Heaven for carnivores.
- Bozeman, gateway to/from Yellowstone. Note mid-September is getting close to the snow season in the high country, so keep a weather eye.
- Little Bighorn battlefield, Crow Agency. Impressive and evocative.
Map - https://goo.gl/maps/geiaqFENx768te467

Wyoming/South Dakota
- Sheridan (WY) - home of Buffalo Bill and a lovely and very historic town.
- Devil's Tower, near Moorcroft. See if those nice little aliens are back.
- Deadwood, Lead, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore - the Black Hills are basically fabulous.
- Badlands National Park loop - an easy and stunning short detour off I-90. It will leave you gobsmacked.
- Missouri River overlook, just east of Chamberlain SD - "across the wide Missouri," indeed.
- Corn Palace, Mitchell SD. One of a kind, worth a look.
Map - https://goo.gl/maps/CfqA3TQQStEuFfri8
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 05:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Continuing east from Gardyloo's great list - Austin Minnesota which is the world HQ of Spam. If you eat too much Spam, you might want the head for Rochester MN to the Mayo Clinic.
There are great River Roads north and south of La Crosse along the Mississippi River. You can take a boat trip up through the Wisconsin Dells.
Near Madison WI, you can decide whether you want to visit Milwaukee or just head for Chicago. The multitude of things to see and do in Chicago is well covered with a search on Fodors.
The Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is worth a stop even if it is a bit too cold for a swim. If you have never been in Michigan this is your best chance.
Just east of Toledo Ohio is a great amusement park (Cedar Point). In Cleveland you can visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. For your PA stop try for Presque Isle State park.
You should visit Niagara Falls north of Buffalo. If you have your passports, head over to the Canada side as well.
In Rochester NY the best tourist sites IMO are the George Eastman house and the Strong Children's museum which has a huge collection of dolls.
Further east in New York you could visit Cooperstown for the baseball Hall of Fame. You may want to drive through the Adirondack Park and visit Ticonderoga along the Hudson River.
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 03:59 AM

I hate I90 thru MA. I would find Albany and take route over Hogback Mountain from Bennington VT to Brattleboro. Or take I91 from western MA (springfield area) north to Brattleboro. It runs up through VT but along the NH border. Take whichever route east to eventually get to Concord NH. Ignore mapquest suggestions to use Rt 101 from Manchester to seacoast. It's a very boring highway. From Concord, take Rt 4 thru Northwood to Rt 16 and enjoy the scenery. Wagon Hill Farm is a conservation area now. If you like to walk/hike, there is a trail to the water but most people don't know it's there. There's a revolutionary war grave near the trail. I like the approach to Portsmouth over the bridges. You can connect with I95 or visit Portsmouth.
Since you went to Concord you could easily visit Canterbury Shaker Village. Warner has the Kearsarge Indian Museum and a Telephone Museum. Both Gould Hill Orchard in Hopkinton (close to I89) and Apple Hill in Concord grow a wide variety of apples. Gould Hill is making their own hard cider. You can sit at a picnic table to enjoy a flight and the view.
Take an inland rivers cruise out of Portsmouth. There is also a harbor cruise so you can get a peek at the Navy Yard and old navy prison.
Strawbery Banke Historic Area in Portsmouth.
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 03:30 PM

Two of a favorite culinary memories of our cross country trip Seattle to Maine included Buffalo Wings in East Aurora NY not far from Niagara Falls and then lunch the next day at the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park NY-very different price tags and food but both really good!

We walked off all the food visiting the FDR Home in Hyde Park

https://www.nps.gov/hofr/index.htm
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

This is great!

Thank you everyone for so many great suggestions. Please keep them coming. We were thinking of deviating off of the I 90 and going up and over the Great Lakes into Canada and coming back down through Niagara Falls. Then we would continue through Vermont and New Hampshire to Maine. Would love some suggestions for the up and over the Great Lakes part in Canada.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaJohntravels
Thank you everyone for so many great suggestions. Please keep them coming. We were thinking of deviating off of the I 90 and going up and over the Great Lakes into Canada and coming back down through Niagara Falls. Then we would continue through Vermont and New Hampshire to Maine. Would love some suggestions for the up and over the Great Lakes part in Canada.
We've done the top of NH's White Mountains over to Maine's Sunday River and then aimed for Ellsworth. It's pretty but very rural so you'll want to know where you can stop for lunch and gas. It depends on where in Maine you want to end up. We don't care for I95 but Rt 1 is congested except weekdays after Labor Day. You can ferry across Lake Champlain to Burlington. Vermont alone has varied scenery depending on where you go. Lake Champlain area is full of farms and rolling hills but Green Mountains divide the state. One summer we discovered a swimming hole just east of Bristol VT. Wondered why there were cars parked along the road. There was a deep pool and small waterfall so people could jump off ledges but downstream the water was very shallow. It was a great place to picnic. You can find it if you google Vermont swimming holes.