Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I(21) have a week to spend in the US with my Dad(43) around mid-May.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We Want To Experience The Wilderness. We r Both Healthy And In Good Fit. It can be pretty much anywhere in the US (except Hawaii and Alaska). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

we have 7 days + travel days.
We've been to Arizona, mainly the northern area, as well as to NY (catskills, bear mountain etc).
By "Experience the Wilderness" I mean either a week long trail(camping at nights) or camping in a tent in a place that is near multiple day-hikes..
Absolute solitude is not a must, but it must not be crowded.
We like great views (preferably green, not a must)
we prefer east coast to mid-us states.
The place also must be relatively safe..
Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Shenandoah National Park (Virginia)
Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Tennessee)
Walking part of the Appalachian Trail
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 12:41 AM

This is good advice.

I like the ideas of the Shenandoah Valley and part of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia.

You can fly into Dulles from Europe, maximizing your time on the ground. There is a train from Washington to Harpers Ferry, VA, the headquarters for the AT Conference, where you can get information and advice, particularly about how you get back to Washington from the woods.

I assume you will walk south from there.

This is a good time to go -- if you have the appropriate gear. It is likely to be somewhere between warm and chilly during the day and chilly and quite cold at night. It will not be crowded this time of year except perhaps on a weekend so you may be able to sleep in shelters (think bothies if you are British) but a backpacking tent, cook stove, and layers of clothing and waterproofs are critical.

This is more or less the season when hibernating critters (I.e., bears and snakes) awaken, and many of them are not too happy. Even sex-crazed deer can be an issue. You will be fine, but get advice at Harpers Ferry about dealing with them ( or preferably avoiding them.)

The nice thing about the AT is that it runs from Georgia to Maine, and you can come back over time and do it all. There's a father and son project! You can't do the Northern sections until later in the summer because of snow, ice, and black flies. Pennsylvania has water problems in the summer, the Deep South sections have other issues. By starting in the middle, you can do each section at its appropriate time.

And try to read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods." It is classic Bryson!
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

By now, I think we'll go to the white mountains in NH.

Its seems to be easily reachable from Boston airport, pretty serene at this time of the year and camping is mostly allowed all over the park. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

We'll be there around late-May (23-31).

My only fear is the 'black flies' that everybody talkin about.

What do you guys think about the park, and are the 'black flies' such a big deal?

Thank u all!
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 01:22 PM

I have hiked all over the White Mountains at all seasons, and your time is possibly the worst.

While things vary from year to year, it is likely to be mud season (also known as "The Fourth Season). Snow melt leaves trails boggy and watercourses difficult to cross.

Blackflies are to Northern New England what midges are to Scotland, although they are larger and may have a vicious bite. But they usually are a bit later than you plan to be there.

There is usually spring skiing in Tuckerman Ravine into June, but you have to pack in your skis as there is no lift. There should still be snow and ice in Huntington Ravine and some of the others. There will be thick ice on some shady trails, and waterfall over the Tuckerman head wall may mean that you can't summit or reach the ridge that way. You will need crampons and heavy boots, but you can probably use trekking poles or ski poles rather than ice axes.

The great thing about the White Mountains is that in the Presidential range, you are above tree line most of the time, so the views are fantastic. But May is too late for snow shoeing and too early for enjoyable hiking.

One man's opinion, of course.