Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already received lots of valuable information for our February trip to San Francisco. Now I am trying to pick a hotel. I am leaning towards the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf because of the price, location, and amenities (pool if the weather is nice, fitness room, games room). There will be me, my husband and our 11-year-old son. Can anyone tell me if there is any reason NOT to stay here?

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM

Hello Nickity, is the pool an indoor pool? If not I seriously doubt anyone would want to swim in an outdoor pool in SF during February.

I am not a fan of Fisherman's Wharf but some people do enjoy staying there. So my main reason for not staying there is the location but we all have different viewpoints of course.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Rooms are not large but hotel is fine, esp. if you get it on Priceline, which you frequently can.
Staff and housekeeping were extremely responsive to tips when I had special requests.

There are groceries and Trader Joe's just around the corner, always handy for a family, and the Market Street trolleys pass right in front of the door, IIRC. More suitable for a family with children than Union Square, in my book, since Fishermen's Wharf isn't real sophisticated.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Stayed at the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf a few years ago. More recently stayed at the Hilton which is right beside it. Both are nice-may want to check the prices at the Hilton, too. Good location if you want to stay at Fisherman's Wharf.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM

We're having a record heatwave right now - high temps in the mid 60s to low 70s. But last week there was frost & some ice, & temps were in the 40s. If the pool is not indoors, it's no value in Feb. Even if it's indoors - how exciting is an indoor pool?

The Wharf is fine if you like tacky stuff that is not representative of San Francisco. If you read the Fodors intro to the Wharf, you'll get a better description.

San Francisco is all about "outdoors", and exploring all the wonderful stuff that makes this such an exciting place to live. I would think a game room and fitness room would be worthless. If you need to get some exercise, walk the Filbert stairs or just walk about anywhere in the City. If you stay near the Embarcadero, you'll see lots of locals jogging along the waterfront (more senic than inside a hotel). Bike to Ft Point. Walk along Crissy Field. That's how locals get their exercise.

Stu Dudley