Hwy 7 Hot Springs, AK

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hwy 7 Hot Springs, AK

Is there someone that can tell me what Hwy 7 from Hot Springs,AK up to the interstate is like in January? Any problems driving it? I mean under normal circumstances, wouldn't do it in an ice storm! I know it is twisty from what I have read. Would it much faster going up to Little Rock? Would be heading towards Joplin, MO. I tried do a search here, but didn't find the information I was looking for. Thanks to anyone that has any advice.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM

ummmm, I suggest you post this question again using AR (Arkansas) instead of AK (Alaska)
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:42 PM

Ustwo I have made that drive many many times early in the year. There will be no problems, unless of course you encounter some horrific weather. It is twisty and turny, but it is also lovely and shouldn't be missed.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM

You would go out of your way unnecessarily if you went to Little Rock. Highway 7 is a perfectly good road that we take all the time when we're going to I-40 west. We live in Hot Springs Village so we know the road well. 7 is a federal scenic byway but it there won't be much to see in January.

The road from Hot Springs to Jessieville is just an ordinary road with a lot of development along it. From Jessieville to Ola (35 miles through the Ouachita Mountains), the road is somewhat twisting, but easily drivable as long as you don't hurry. You can take a straighter path by going west on highway 10 at Nimrod Dam intersection and then curving back to Ola, but it adds 5 miles to the drive. We do that at night but usually in the daytime we just stay on 7. After Ola, it's flat and straight to I-40, going through Dardanelle and Russellville.

If there is ice, then you may want to take 70 to I-30, then north on I-430 to I-40 west. If you're driving during the day, ice is uaually not a problem. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

I can't believe I typed AK instead of AR! I was trying to be so careful with the post (didn't want to upset anyone). Thanks for pointing it out so nicely SusanCS. I won't post it again,as I have all the information I need from MauiPigFarmer and happytourist. Thanks to all of you.