Search

Huntsville/Madison, AL..HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huntsville/Madison, AL..HELP

Hello,

Planning a trip to check out area, mid July 2005....planning on moving within a year from the Northeast. Just read previous postings and have more questions. Working middle class couple in late 40's (no kids) looking for help on which communites in the area are good to live. Want to be close to manufacturing industries. How are the small towns outside of Madison,Decauter,Hunstville? Any info is appreciated... sounds like a freindly area to live!! Thanks in advance
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

sorry i posted twice...
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:16 AM
bamakelly

Madison itself is a small "bedroom" community. Not much of a city feel, but you have your basic grocery stores and chain restaurants and movie theaters close by. You'll have to come into Huntsville a lot for bigger things. Decatur is larger than Madison, Huntsville is much larger than Decatur and is still not considered a big city. Anything "outside of Madison" (i.e. Mooresville, Athens, etc) is, in my opinion, downright rural. Here's a link for specifics: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/01000.html

Huntsville is a great place to live. Poeple who live in Madison love it. The outlying areas will be more rural and might take more getting used to. Given the fact that you want to live near the industries, I'd think Madison might be a good place to start looking.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

Huntsville and Madison are home to many small and new-start industries. More of the small industries are probably somewhere between Huntsville and Madison, but I haven't made an official survey. Depending on what you find as a job, you could be anywhere in the area and be either close to your job or a pretty good distance away. Decatur is much too far away for commuting, IMO.

The most desirable area of Huntsville is in the southeast portion, especially the new developments beyond the first ridge (not quite a mountain) and into the next valley east. All through the hills are beautiful places to live, and new home building is booming along. House prices will be lower than most of the northeast U.S. where you will be coming from, but there are homes in all price ranges going up into the millions. The scenery in the area is very pleasant, with all kinds of mountain ridges making a nice backdrop.

Madison is west of Huntsville in the flatter terrain if you don't like living on a hillside. And people are now starting to move into small acreage properties south of the Tennessee River, in small places like Laceys Spring. Lots of nice homes on 5 to 20 acres in that area.

Huntsville is indeed a friendly community, because it is still very much a southern community. In spite of the incredible growth and the influx of people from all over the world, it has managed to maintain a southern charm, as you might well already know.

I think one of the best places for the money is Jones Valley. There are lots of nice homes there, many at reasonable prices, and the location is ideal for schools and shopping. You will find that because it is spread out among the hills, and because there is only one north-south artery through town, Huntsville has its share of traffic problems during typical morning and evening rush hours.

If you have always been more of a city person, I'd advise you to stay in the city in one of the housing developments, of which there are many. And best of all, because of the undulating terrain, developments don't seem like tract homes. Many of the housing areas are blessed with trees everywhere, and there is just a nice homey feeling.

I believe you will enjoy living there, and you will find the opportunities for recreation -- especially boating and hiking -- to be as good as anywhere. Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
bamakelly

Wayne's descriptoin of Huntsvile is 100% accurate. Jones Valley is where I live and it's the most wonderful palce in the whole US. But it's not near the manufacturing industries, so I still think if that's a priority you'd want to look into Madison.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:34 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread, but for bamakeely's information, I used to live in Jones Valley and I feel exactly as you do.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
bamakelly

Wayne -- it's hard to beat driving through a farm everyday while you are still in the middle of a city! Everytime our relatives visit they are amazed at how beautiful Huntsville is. Alabama's best kept secret!

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:17 PM

Hey...Bama...I thought that was Gulf Shores Logo??? Belle.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:49 PM
bamakelly

You know, it probably is! I just said it off the top of my head. Huntsville's thing is the "Rocket City" - but I personally think it's Alabama's best kept secret! Does that count?

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:17 PM

bama...yeah, alittle!
Belle.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM

www.lakeguntersville.org

Guntersville Alabama is definitely "Alabama's Best Kept Secret"...I've heard that more times than I can count!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM

www.lakeguntersville.org

Guntersville Alabama is definitely "Alabama's Best Kept Secret"...I've heard that more times than I can count! Only 35 miles south of Huntsville.