Search

Huntsville in June

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 09:55 AM
brieanna

Huntsville in June

Our daughter will be attending Space Camp in Huntsville, Alabama next June. We will drive her there but will not be attending camp. We're from Texas and not familiar with the area. Her Dad and I would like to spend some time exploring the area for the 5 days she is there. He's a Nascar fan and so we'll take a day and drive to Talledaga (sorry for the spelling). We'd also like to check out the Unclaimed Luggage store (just for kicks). We know Huntsville isn't a mecca of entertainment or luxury, but we'd like to find some things in the nearby areas. We're not opposed to an overnight trip but we will base ourselves out of Huntsville. Anyone have any suggestions for other places to see or stay? In advance, thank you for your help.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:01 AM
ttt

Topping

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:05 AM
S

Brieanna,
Definitely check out the Space and Rocket Center while you're here. It's better than the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum! I don't know if the tours of the Marshall Space Flight Center are still on-going since Sept 11th. When in June are you coming? Over in Tuscumbia (NW Alabama) the play "The Miracle Worker" is an annual event at the end of June. I'm not sure of the exact dates. This is the story of Helen Keller. In NE Alabama, east of Scottsboro where Unclaimed Baggage is, is a State Park. I forget the name of it, but there's a HUGE canyon/gorge over there - I think it's supposed to be the largest east of the Mississippi. There's the abbey down in Cullman. It's got Jerusalem in miniature & something else, but I forget what.

Nashville is only 2 hours away. A quick trip up there would be definitely worth your while. You might consider a trip on the Nachez Trace.

I'm drawing a blank on the other stuff. Let me think and I'll post again.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:29 PM
x

I would take a trip to Nashville. It's only about 2 hours away (interstate all the way). There is a lot to do there and many good restaurants.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:51 PM
brieanna

Thanks for the suggestions. We will be in Huntsville the middle of June. I think we get discount tickets for the Space attractions through the Space Camp, so we planned on doing that.
Didn't realize Nashville was only 2hrs away. We'll be heading that direction on our way to Ky for a visit with family. The nature stuff sounds like fun. Any suggestions for a cozy B&B that might help us celebrate our anniversary? Thanks for all your responses.