Humboldt Redwoods State Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on our itinerery for a northern California coast camping trip this summer. During the trip, we are planning to stay 2 nights at Humboldt Redwoods SP. There are 3 campgrounds to choose from and I am wondering if anybody has any experience with them - favorite campground, information such as noise, proximity to good trails, etc.

Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM

The campground west of the Rockfeller Grove is in a former apple orchard. It is definitely quiet, as the road that passes by to go to Petrolia is a dirt road with very little traffic. Deer come down in the evening to feed on the apples. We had a grey fox going on his rounds every evening pass behind our tent.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Art

Feeling connected to natures god while standing in the middle of a Redwood grove was the most religious experience I've ever had. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:57 PM

I agree with Art. I don't recall the campground name, but it was in the middle of the redwoods at Humboldt.

The hush of the area was incredible. It was so quiet I could hear my hear beating in my ears, and I was just sitting there, very relaxed.

Incredible experience. Talk about listening to the silence!! It was beautiful to experience Our noise filled world is hard to cope with after an experience like that.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I definitely agree with you guys about the spiritual nature of the redwoods. I grew up around Santa Cruz and spent a lot of time hiking in the redwoods when I was growing up.